586,075 active members*
4,255 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

MV Jr, New Owner Questions

Just picked up a MV Jr, have not hooked it up yet and had some questions that are killing me to find out.

Info
    Model SV-50/40
    SN 388
    Control MSC-518MC
    inspection Date 10-24-96

Questions:
    Will this run a rigid tap?
    Is that what the G84 is?
    Does someone have an example if it will do tapping?

I see graphs that show 4000, 6000 and I think 10000 rpm, where the different top speeds options? Or is there gearing or something that lets you change it? Sorry this is more of a hopeful question.

Has anyone hooked these up to a serial port and if so would you mind hinting on the pinout of the port or pointing me to a page in the manuals that will tell me. Also what is the port set up numbers, baud, etc. Again page would be good this manual is the best.

Here is the newbie question, who makes the controller for post processor sake?

Oh, anything I need to know about my new machine?

Thanks
    Andy

Is Yasnac correct for the post processor?

Andy

MV-jr?

NO WAY THATS A JR !!! thats an early SV50 high speed 30HP 10K rpm machine. Yes, rigid tap was standard.

Control is a Fanuc 18MC, standard Fanuc pin-out on the cable, std parameter settings. Do a search, i don't have them here but it's been asked 100 times on this site.

Watch out if the machine has been stored for a while. Thats a pretty fast ATC arm on that thing and the tool lock plungers may be stuck on the arm. If they are, it will throw a tool VERY HARD.

Mori NEVER used a Yasnac on an SV machine. Think they stopped all Yasnac stuff in 95.

Arrow Some basics

For the MSC-518 on a SV-50

sample code

Code:
    N## G0 G43 G54 G90 X##.#### Y##.#### Z2. H##
    Z.5 T## M8(GO TO YOUR INITIAL PLANE, CALL NEXT TOOL, FLOOD ON)
    M29 S#### (SET SYNC MODE AND SPINDLE SPEED)
    G84 Z-1. R.2 Q.4 F###.#### (FEED IS IN IPM UNITS) (Q IS FOR PECK TAPPING)
    G0 Z.5 M9 (RAPID RETURN TO INITIAL PLANE, FLOOD OFF) (G0 CANCELS FIXED CYCLE LIKE G80)
    Z2.
    G28 G91 Z0 M1 (TAKE SPINDLE HOME FOR TOOLCHANGE)
    M6 (TOOLCHANGE)
    Notes:
    Don't use an M3 - spindle should be off when an M29 S#### is given.
    G84 - the Q value is optional and usually omitted (tap full depth in single pass)
    No Z axis movement is allowed after the M29 is issued other than the actual G84 cycle.
    G80 or G0 will cancel the M29

Good luck, The SV50 is a great toy!

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    NO WAY THATS A JR !!! thats an early SV50 high speed 30HP 10K rpm machine. Yes, rigid tap was standard.

Control is a Fanuc 18MC, standard Fanuc pin-out on the cable, std parameter settings. Do a search, i don't have them here but it's been asked 100 times on this site.

Watch out if the machine has been stored for a while. Thats a pretty fast ATC arm on that thing and the tool lock plungers may be stuck on the arm. If they are, it will throw a tool VERY HARD.

Mori NEVER used a Yasnac on an SV machine. Think they stopped all Yasnac stuff in 95.
    You maybe right, I looked at the tag earlier today and it was made in 86 I think; so I think some of the paper work I received with is for a different machine. I need to look into this. I will let you know more about the machine tomorrow, when I get back to the machine. Thanks for the warning on the tool changer, since I am new to tool changer would you recommend a process to see if it is working ok. I have two sources for the status of the tc, when I bought it I was told it was not working, that's why the price was cheap, when I talked to an operator he said it was working but was real noisy. I have not hooked up power yet so I have not been able to play with it.

Andy

Mori

86 would for sure NOT be an SV, nor a MSC518 control. Is the machine green or white and blue?

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    86 would for sure NOT be an SV, nor a MSC518 control. Is the machine green or white and blue?
    it is green

Ah-green

Could be Yasnac or Fanuc then.

Models of green vintage (at least common ones)
    MV-35/35
    MV-35/40
    MV40/40
    MV45/40
    MV45/45
    MV50/40
    MV50/50
    MV65/50

And yes, MVjr in the later portion-late 80's. A Jr is basicaly a stripped down MV40. It may or may not have rigid tap then, as that was an option for most machines back then. An 86 could be a Yasnac MX1 or MX2, or Fanuc 6/10/11

I will make sure to look more tomorrow, would like to find all of this out, thanks for the help.

Andy

If you can get the sn off of the tag on the electrical cabinet door, I can see what control type it has (and maybe alot of other information). By the way, the tag wil tell you the model as well. Good luck.
    pinpointcnc

Quote Originally Posted by pinpointcnc View Post
    If you can get the sn off of the tag on the electrical cabinet door, I can see what control type it has (and maybe alot of other information). By the way, the tag wil tell you the model as well. Good luck.
    pinpointcnc
    You will have it tomorrow sir, thanks
    Andy

I have an 86 MV-JR. Yasnac MX-2 control. How do I tell if it has rigid tapping? Command an M29?

clay

Quote Originally Posted by andyhol View Post
    You will have it tomorrow sir, thanks
    Andy
    Type ENCM-CP3117
    SN S66113-1-5
    Date 7/1986
    PN 159
    Yaskawa

This is what I pulled off the door next to the card cage assembly.

Andy

hard over travel ???

Just got the machine hooked up. When I power it up it shows hard over travel as the error, I press the release on the side and it still will not move, any ideas?

Thanks Andy

Just got the machine hooked up. When I power it up it shows hard over travel as the error, I press the release on the side and it still will not move, any ideas?

Thanks Andy
    So if I hold the override button before turning on the display power it will work? Ok?

Zero Accuracy?

I am new to this machine and still a newbie in some cases. I usually touch off of a part and set my zero from that; how accurate is the zero on this machine? Can I use it instead of touching off a parts?

Andy

Arrow Take time to really look at the machine.

If your on a hard limit it should be real apparent which axis it is.

To get it off the limit may require 2 people, one to hold the over travel release button while the other uses (only) the MPG hand wheel to move the proper axis off the limit. Use a medium resolution and go slow and careful. REMEMBER with that with the Over Travel button pressed you are bypassing all safeties - it will let you rip the ball screw mount out of the machine if you keep moving in the wrong direction.

M29 is a Fanuc command - and the MX# tend to use FPR not IPM for tap feeds if I remember right.

Once the axis are centered if you are still showing overload, power off and lockout the machine, remove all the brushes from the offending axis servo and use compressed air thru each brush location to try and get as much carbon dust out. Most DC brush servos have 4 brushes for motor power but will likely also have some additional smaller brushes for the tach generator output.

I doubt that an 86 vintage machine will have rigid tapping. You can still machine tap with tension compression holders and do very well.

RTFM = Read The Fabulous Manuals - Cover to cover 3 times. May seem like a waste of time but when you have questions you will remember that you just saw that... Then you can try to hunt down where you saw it.

So if I hold the override button before turning on the display power it will work? Ok?
    Ah, press the override and then press the on button again, got it.

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post

I doubt that an 86 vintage machine will have rigid tapping. You can still machine tap with tension compression holders and do very well.
    I am reading the manuals, thanks for the suggestion :-)

My manual shows a G84 tapping cycle, but no M29, does that mean no rigid? Having never done tapping before on a cnc, this means I will need to use a tapping head correct? If so what kind?

Spindle Crash?

Ok, warming up the spindle like the manual says, 1000 rpm for half hour then 2000 rpm for half hour; got 25 minute into the 2000 and started hearing loud screeching noise, pressed spindle stop it stopped. No errors on what I presume to be the drive box, what just happened!!!!!!
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12