586,113 active members*
3,081 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wanting to build a Joes Hybrid 4x8

I am a novice woodworker looking to build a CNC and really like what the Joe's Hybrid (I meant to put Hybrid in title, doh!) model has to offer. I am trying to start up a small home loudspeaker company that builds very large speakers, hence, the 4x8 requirement. I have built many pairs of speakers by hand with my tools but the thought and possibilities of using a CNC instead are mind-boggling. I currently own a Ryobi BT3100 table saw, a full size drill press, 3 routers, jigsaw, grinder, miter saw and a bunch of drills. I will purchase any of the other tools necessary to construct one.

My concern is my ability to build one with my limited shop knowledge. I'm extremely good with computers (can program) and I do catch on quickly but is something like this over my head?

Also, I'm looking for accuracy, but not absolute. Cuts that are within 1/32" would be just fine, but if I could fine-tune that down to 0.01" all the better.

Lastly, what do you feel is the absolute minimum I could get away with, $$$ wise, for a 4x8 that will do the aforementioned? I would love to keep everything under $2000, minus the computer, software and any tools I'll need. I'm talking only for building the machine with the motors, lead screws etc.

Oh, and one last thing. This forum displays messages from newest to oldest and it's the only forum I've ever seen do this. I can't figure out how to turn it around to oldest first, newest last. Any insight?

Thanks!

The cost will be from $2500 t0 $3000 for a 4X8 joes hybrid. It will do all the things you want it to do.

The support forum is the best I have ever seen. You will need a drill press and hand tools to build it. Unless you want to cut the MDF parts yourself, then you will need the routers and table saw etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by henrydavis View Post

Oh, and one last thing. This forum displays messages from newest to oldest and it's the only forum I've ever seen do this. I can't figure out how to turn it around to oldest first, newest last. Any insight?

Thanks!
    Poke around in the User CP, it's in there, maybe under thread display options or something like that.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I agree with Stoney, the forum is the best I have ever come across, and that is whole bunch of them.

I am a programmer, and I don't think it is over my head at all. The electronics get me a lot, but the actual running of the machine is a piece of cake once you get the basics down.

Currently I also do custom speaker enclosures for the home. After cutting some last night I was withing .001 on each cut, the farthest out was .004.

One last thing, money should be of some concern, but not the ultimate concern. There will be things that you spend money on that you didn't account for, but in the end they are worth it.

I will be building my second machine based on the 4x4 design in the next couple of months. It will be a 4x8 but there will be a great deal of changes from the original plans to help me make the best CNC I can. If I owned a CNC that was off by a 1/32" I would throw it away and retire.

If you look in the 4x4 thread, the last post shows me cutting speaker enclosures on the machine with some of the upgrades I have done from the original. Most bookshelf speakers I can cut the front and rear baffle in around 5 minutes at 250ipm, rapids at 750ipm

Come on Swaggs, the two of us are the Rack and Pinion pioneers and you know you can cut faster than 250ipm. You just are afraid to right now. LOL!

It will be interesting to see how fast you can really go once you get caught up on life!

EDIT: and this is one of the easiest things I have ever built!

To change your display preference... in the top header the lower blue bar on the far left click User CP. Menu on the left ... Setting and Options > Edit Options > Thread Display Options > Thread Display Mode

Senna
    aka BOOMER52 >>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=159693

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyreef View Post
    Come on Swaggs, the two of us are the Rack and Pinion pioneers and you know you can cut faster than 250ipm. You just are afraid to right now. LOL!

It will be interesting to see how fast you can really go once you get caught up on life!

EDIT: and this is one of the easiest things I have ever built!
    Haha, I know I can cut at 400ipm (I have tried it), but I don't want to do that with a .25 bit, and a .5 bit kills me on material usage for the speaker stuff.

Since that is all I have been cutting for the last week, I haven't played with the feed speeds.

And I am not a pioneer on anything, I just took something that someone else made and found out how it applies to our design. Heck, I didn't even discover the drive you did

I am a blind Clark if we were Lewis and Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by swaggs21 View Post
    If I owned a CNC that was off by a 1/32" I would throw it away and retire.
    Hahaha! One of my favorite CNC quotes I've seen in the past four years I've been on these forums.