586,075 active members*
3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

It stops after every line of code

CAM SOFT PRO, Galil 1840 Rev C, 2 axis gantry with 3rd axis slaved to 1st. Last week it was as smoth as silk. Today the goofy ghost came, and the machine pauses for about 1/2 second at the end of every G1 or G2 line of code, using an oxy fuel torch it leaves witness marks that have to be welded up and sanded out, because of the jerky start stop motion. Called CAM SOFT and they suggested changing smoothing to -50 or servo tuning. any # more than 5 above or below exhisting PID will cause the machine to chattter and jerk or go slow and then jump to position, so the tuning is about as close to middle of road as possible. smoothing at any number had no effect. tollerance on general settings page from .001 to.01 had no effect on the opperation. the only thing differrent is a new touch screen control panel and an Opto 22 board with 4 new M codes to operate solenoids.
    This will make you want to plow in a circle.
    Thanks
    The Farmer

You need basic invetigation techniques here. On something that has worked a long time, then broke, I asked what changed recently? When the operator (may be you) says it can't be that, I think "Oh yes, it can".

You've got to have a bunch of new code in your .cbk for that touch screen. Before even starting it sure sounds to me like DECELSTOP is in effect. I'd search a log file for this command.

If you don't find it with one or two quick guesses, start by dividing the big problem into two smaller ones. For example load a default .cbk that you used when you first got the machine and only change your PID settings. Does the machine perform correctly regarding this issue? If yes, you know its in the .cbk somehow. If no, look to hardware or Galil programming. Keep narrowing down till you find it.

Good luck

Karl

Smile

It was servo tuning
    Talked to Ernie at cam soft and he explained PID and said the average was D is twice as much as P and I is 1/10 of P. started experminting and now it is smoth and quiet.
    Thanks
    The Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Farmers Machine View Post
    It was servo tuning
    Talked to Ernie at cam soft and he explained PID and said the average was D is twice as much as P and I is 1/10 of P. started experminting and now it is smoth and quiet.
    Thanks
    The Farmer
    CONGRATULATIONS! that Earnie is one smart fella. This makes two folks in a row that solved their issues with servo tuning. I must admit tuning is a total mystery to me. I just run Galil servo design kit and put in the result.

Karl