586,115 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: THC wanted

THC wanted

Hi everyone, I am looking to add a ATHC to my torchmate2. Anyone want to chime in with what they are using and how it works for them?

I got a quote from Torchmate, they want $2500 for one. Seems a little steep to me but maybe its the way to go... Its definatly the most complete.

I also got quotes from Agelkom and CandCNC.

CandCNC says I need to replace all the drives and controls with thier system as their system is not compatable with the current TM system. They quoted me about $1400 but I really don't want to replace everything. Seems like a big hassel for a CNC newbie like me.

Agelkom has the controlers for around $400 but it looks like I need to build the rest of it. I need a couple of switches and a motor plus a mount for the torch, unless I can reuse the one that came with the TM2. Again seems like a lot of messing around.

What are you guys using?

I just got done with my TM1 build with athc,laser crosshairs,platemarker< ETC. I absolutely LOVE my height control. I personally believe Torchmate works best with Torchmate. besides if yo ever have a problem it's way easier for a torchmate tech to diagnose his own system.....
    Todd Benner
    BENFAB and Design LLC.

Yeah, I wanted a Torch height control and the best price I have found is Torchmate. For a mere $5000USD you can wait for Hypertherm to build you one, but it is a "stand alone" system that will allow you to have yet another control box to mount and learn how to use along with the sweet TM system. Fortunately the TM stuff is sooo easy to learn and just about runs itself straight out of the box. I was trying to cut the cost and TM beat me to it. Cant say enough good stuff about em, I dont work for or own any part of TM, but if I could I would. I like em that good!!!!

For now we went with a ghetto fabulous home made solution. We attached a 110 volt drill to the hand adjustable unit that came with our torchmate. Just unbolt the hand wheel, fab a bracket for the drill and wire in a remote switch for up and down (what used to be forward and reverse) Works great and only cost about $100.

Instead of spending $2500 on a THC we bought a new Hypertherm 45 plasma with a machine torch. Havent gotten around to using it yet but it looks like it will work killer!

Apology

Quote Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
    Yeah, I wanted a Torch height control and the best price I have found is Torchmate. For a mere $5000USD you can wait for Hypertherm to build you one, but it is a "stand alone" system that will allow you to have yet another control box to mount and learn how to use along with the sweet TM system. Fortunately the TM stuff is sooo easy to learn and just about runs itself straight out of the box. I was trying to cut the cost and TM beat me to it. Cant say enough good stuff about em, I dont work for or own any part of TM, but if I could I would. I like em that good!!!!
    I appologize to the entire forum for my completely unproffesional reply. I was angry at a reseller and it clouded my judgement and put my alligator mouth ahead of my mockingbird behind. After researching the system more thoroughly it is true it is 5000. But....it is a commercial unit for continous use in a large industrial setting. Not for the home user. So I appologize for my poor report since it does not reflect the truth about hypertherm as a company. Since I investigated their system I have found them to be very helpfull and forthcoming with any thing I have asked them for despite my slam, without hesitation. Be carefull who you ask for info, is the lesson I have learned from my unforunate poor choice of words!!!!

While Hypertherm produces Torch Height Control systems.....their primary business is in engineering , designing, and manufacturing the worlds best plasma cutting systems. We actually built the first arc voltage based torch height control back in the 1970's......and it was built to make our plasma systems perform better! Today we have 4 different torch height control systems....all of which are designed to benefit very high duty cycle, 3 shift a day industrial users. All components are designed to hold up under tough conditions in dirty shops at plasma cutting amperages of up to 1000 Amps.....which will cut through 5" thick stainless steel.

There are quite a few producers of entry level, and budget concious torch height control systems.....and I, as a long time Hypertherm employee steer people in that direction often! In fact, I'm more than willing to provide information to do it yourselfers to help them develop their own torch height control systems.....short of provideing all of the plans for the ones we produce at Hypertherm!

Hypertherm has never had the lowest priced products....and probably never will. If you use your Hypertherm equipment for years.....it often proves to be less costly that other equipment based of reliability and performance. We call it cost of ownership....and we'll lay claim to having the lowest cost in this category!

No apologies necessary....I understand the frustrations in this industry...especially when it comes to pricing.

Best regards, Jim Colt

The Dynatorch height control is (from what I have heard) a good unit......Torchmate also has a similarly priced system......these are what I call "standalone" torch height controls.....they interface between the plasma and the control on almost any cutting machine.....no need for a software interface. These units come complete with the z axis lifter....so it is almost a plug and play system.

Hypertherm's Sensor PHC torch height control is about double the price....is designed more for high duty cycle industrial applications (heavier duty sealed z axis lifter, the plasma interface board has its own CSA approved enclosure....it not only divides the raw arc voltage to a usable level, but it filters out electrical noise....and is designed to work with high frequency or non high frequency start plasma, and it uses a two phase approach to IHS (initial height sensing), Ohmic plate contact with stall force sensing as a backup)

CandCNC electronics also has torch height control systems that are complete minus the z axis lifter...so you can save moey and build your own.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

CandCNC electronics also has torch height control systems that are complete minus the z axis lifter...so you can save moey and build your own.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Thanks for the plug Jim but:

Our DTHC is made to work (integrated into) MACH3 control software. All of the THC logic is in the core of MACH3. It is NOT a stand-alone sytesm. Z movements outside the contour following during cutting are controlled by G-code (Z moves).Torchmate control software/hardware is not compatable with MACH3. Several users have converted TM tables to MACH3 and our electronics. The only choice for a native TM system is a Stand-Alone THC of which the choices are as listed.

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Not only do you need to consider the cost of the unit or the parts it takes to make it but you'll get lifetime support from torchmate as well.

We have had a torchmate height control for about a year and we love it. Very easy to use and setup.

hv a look at our XPTHC-100, stand alone AVTHC,too.
    But we are in China, not expect you guys to buy it, just give us some of yr comment, I shall appreciate that very much.

tks larry
    Fiber laser cutting machine
    http://qlaser.en.alibaba.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Thanks for the plug Jim but:

Our DTHC is made to work (integrated into) MACH3 control software. All of the THC logic is in the core of MACH3. It is NOT a stand-alone sytesm. Z movements outside the contour following during cutting are controlled by G-code (Z moves).Torchmate control software/hardware is not compatable with MACH3. Several users have converted TM tables to MACH3 and our electronics. The only choice for a native TM system is a Stand-Alone THC of which the choices are as listed.

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com
    Tom, is there a way to convert or have the torchmate driver box work with the Mach3 software and get away from the additional Signal Generator box and its software?

I just recently acquired a older Torchmate2 machine but I prefer to use the Mach3 software which is why I'm asking...

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaturbo View Post
    Tom, is there a way to convert or have the torchmate driver box work with the Mach3 software and get away from the additional Signal Generator box and its software?

I just recently acquired a older Torchmate2 machine but I prefer to use the Mach3 software which is why I'm asking...
    Yes, There are a couple of ways. One is to dig around and interface to their motor drivers (step & dir signals) and replace the FlashCut pulse card. Our MP3000-DTHC then drives the stepper drivers direct (it comes with a remote interface card with screw terminals and some standard board headers). The other way is to replace the complete electronics (including their lower torque motors) with one of our BladeRunner AIO Dragon-Cut series all-in-one controller and DTHC.

Both solutions run with MACH3 and come with the correct setup, profiles and screens.

My support forum has a couple of guys that have done a TM to MACH upgrade so you can get more information by joining.

TOMCAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com