587,004 active members*
2,692 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Head tram is out

I have just recently noticed that my head is out of tram on my 3016. This seems to have happened rather suddenly, or I have been blind to it for a long time?

I did a quick sweep of the table in a 6 inch diameter area (was fixtured up, that was all the room I could have at the moment) and the indicator is within about .0002 in the x-axis, but out .0028 in the y.

So, where do I start looking at problems? I know this model has only 4 leveling screws, so you can't tweak the tram in that way. The machine doesn't have any obvious wear, but that's not to say it isn't worn.

This is a 1994 model, but has fairly low hours.

What are the first checks to make here, as far as diagnosing the problem?

I'd check the z axis gibs adjustment, and the table for y axis "crowning" (Y axis way wear on the front if its high toward you...i.e. y minus) first before blaming spindle alinement. Just a thought.
    Steve
    Oh ya...I almost forgot...check the machine leveling....oh...ok you covered that.

Level the machine off the WAYS and not the table. Verify the machine squareness and then adjust the tram if it is out.

Neal

I second adjusting the Z gibs. Make sure you check the spindle tram off a surface machined on the machine and not the actual table to see if it is the head thats out of spec and not the table. This shouldn't be much of an issue on a machine that new but its still good practice to check it this way. On my older machine I have no choice but to check spindle tram this way.