586,110 active members*
3,150 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Z Axis Crash

Z Axis Crash

I'm running a Haas-VF machine we picked up used a few months ago. It's been running great.

We are doing some aluminum machining, running a .005 finish pass on this project, and the Z Axis crashed. We got a 105 Alarm, and the head actually dropped down and buried itself in the aluminum block down to the collet.

I wasn't watching the machine when it happened, so I don't know if it alarmed out before or after it let loose and dropped into my workpiece. I did check my G-codes, and I don't see anything in there that would cause it to plunge into the material like that.

I reset it and everything appears to be fine, but what would cause that, or what should I look at so I don't trash another piece of material?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Let's have a look at your code. More eyes are apt to see something that you missed.
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

Offset it above the part pretty high and run the program and see if there is something in there that shouldn't be.

Had the same program built a good part before the crash? Were there any programs loaded or verified between good parts made? Depending on the size of the end mill, it would probably have to be "driven" into the part to get it up to the collet chuck, but you said the end mill was buried in the part, so I think it wasn't small enough to just shatter, (so not just a collapse). It is an error in the code, or "O.E."

Feel free to correct me anyone.

My 2 cents, Robert
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

Hi Matchew Were did you have your Z0 Set/Toolset, off the top of your part or off the table
    Mactec54

I got it.
    Forgot to remove my center line before making tool path.
    Sorry for not responding before.
    Thanks for the input of everyone tho..

Quote Originally Posted by Matchew View Post
    I'm running a Haas-VF machine we picked up used a few months ago. It's been running great.

We are doing some aluminum machining, running a .005 finish pass on this project, and the Z Axis crashed. We got a 105 Alarm, and the head actually dropped down and buried itself in the aluminum block.
    Matchew,
    You should probably have the drawbar tested with a pull gage, to see if the drawbar pulling force is within specs. You may (probably) have broken some belleville washers in the drawbar assembly. This could result in bad surface finishes and tools not being tight enough in the spindle. Just my $.02 worth.
    Good luck,
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe