586,047 active members*
3,883 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Not really CNC related but looking for tools?

Not really CNC related but looking for tools?

I'm looking for a few tools. I've got a Shop Fox W1677 cabinet saw currently. Other then that I'm looking for some more tools. I want to get a radial arm/miter saw, also looking for a drill press and some other stuff. I really like my Shop Fox cabinet saw but I've read some not so great things about their drill presses. So I'm looking for some help on picking these items. All this is going in a 1 car garage so not a ton of space but I know I would like a floor drill press and what not. For the most part these tools will be used for wood and light aluminum work. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. There are probably some other tools I'm going to be purchasing as I start up my small business but for now this is all that comes to mind.... Price wise I'm looking to spend up to 600 on the Miter Saw and something around 500 or so for a decent drill press. I'm a bit flexible with the prices as well so if there is something amazing just outside of my budget please let me know.

I like my Makita sliding compound miter saw. I think you can find them for ~$500 for a 10" and a bit more for a 12". There will probably be some sales around the holidays. I used mine to cut up a lot of 80/20 for my router and all the wood for a bench and it worked great.

I'll look into those. The Dewalt sliding miters look pretty nice too. I plan on getting a set of non Ferros Freud blades to use when I do aluminum work. I will be cutting up some 80/20 so it's good to know. I'm not completely sure if I need a sliding miter or just a standard compound.

Oh, I'm also looking to brush aluminum so I'm looking for a horizontal belt sander. I was looking at this unit from Shop Fox because it can go horizontal and lay flat.

http://www.woodstockint.com/Products/w1688/

I'll use a Brillo type belt for it to add brushed texture to some of my products. Do you guys think this is a good buy?

I have one of the sliding Dewalt miter saws, it is lovely!

Yeah, the Mitersaw isn't really the issue. I'm just not sure who makes a good floor mount drill press.