586,036 active members*
3,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Acramatic backup memory battery charging problem

Acramatic backup memory battery charging problem

Hi, y'all....
    We have a Cincinnati 5VC-750 mill with Acramatic 900 V2 controls. During a move, the batteries died. We want to keep the batteries charged without having to keep the machine hooked up to 440 3-phase power all the time. There is a battery charging board in there that derives it's power from somewhere. Any ideas how we can power the battery charging board from a common 120 vac cord? There are 4 Gates Cyclon 2 volt cells in series, with a center tap. 3 wires come off of the cells, hot, cold, and center tap.
    Every time the batteries die, we will have to reboot the machine with a paper tape! Argh! That's the closest thing to waterboarding that I can think of.....

Jim

Lots of fun!
    You can get a BTR for these, BTW.
    You should be able to find the AC source of the charger. It has been a while since I played with one.
    I have a big double axis drive and spare cards, if anyone needs one.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Uh, 'BTR"? Whazzat? I'm a novice at this stuff. Jim

BTR= Behind the Tape Reader, it is an electronic interface that allows the loading of machine executive and program tape information via a PC, you have to have your tapes converted to an electronic data file, however.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi. Id'a never guessed that one! I think the tape is ok, so long as I only have to run it once or twice. I have no idea how I would transfer it to a PC file, anyway. If I can just figure out how to power the battery charger from a common 120v outlet, I'm good. The Gates cells appear to have a center tap for some reason. The connector has ground, 4V and 8V wires, so the battery charger can't be a simple one. It has to have two output voltages. Jim

I seem to remember either the batteries were being discharged fairly quickly or they were not being fed to the memory, new batteries did not make a difference.
    I fixed the charger a couple of times, but the machine was scrapped some time ago, so I am just going by memory.
    Al.

Albert E.

If you're still looking, there are a pair of yellow wires in the control that feed the battery charger. They should be the only yellow wires in the control cabinet. Cut them, put a plug on and plug an extension cord onto it, you're good to go. I put a big UPS on mine, will run it for 4 hours during a blackout.

Yes, I am still looking, so thanks for the tip. Assuming there are two yellow wires in there, will it be obvious which side of the cut to put the plug on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
    If you're still looking, there are a pair of yellow wires in the control that feed the battery charger. They should be the only yellow wires in the control cabinet. Cut them, put a plug on and plug an extension cord onto it, you're good to go. I put a big UPS on mine, will run it for 4 hours during a blackout.
    Hi. Am just getting back to this project. So you cut the yellow wires, install a male 120VAC plug and then use an extension cord to go to a UPS? Sounds like a plan to me. I hope the Cyclon cells aren't toast by now. Been hooked up for months with no juice to them. Do you know the total battery supply voltage? Appreciate your help. Jim