586,094 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > DRO/display for A, B and C axis?

DRO/display for A, B and C axis?

Hi all-

I just got my hands on a Schumatec 550 (Christmas project?) for my minimill, and I was thinking, I would like to have all 5 axes of the mill available to me to see when the mill is done. I've done a few searches, and I haven't been able to find a setup of any kind anywhere that makes this possible for sale or described as a project. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might go about this? I was thinking about possibly getting another DRO display and maybe running a couple of optical encoders from the axes to it somehow, but I don't know if this would work or, more to the point, how this could be done.

Anyone have any ideas or experience doing something like this?

-Farasien

The way I read the documentation from Shumatec you are in business with this device from US Digital. http://www.usdigital.com/products/e8p

It sounds like the 550 is compatible with quadrature format signal systems so check this guy out.

RWW

Quote Originally Posted by Farasien View Post
    Hi all-

I just got my hands on a Schumatec 550 (Christmas project?) for my minimill, and I was thinking, I would like to have all 5 axes of the mill available to me to see when the mill is done. I've done a few searches, and I haven't been able to find a setup of any kind anywhere that makes this possible for sale or described as a project. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might go about this? I was thinking about possibly getting another DRO display and maybe running a couple of optical encoders from the axes to it somehow, but I don't know if this would work or, more to the point, how this could be done.

Anyone have any ideas or experience doing something like this?

-Farasien
    Since the DRO550 directly supports quadrature encoders, you can use any single-ended rotary encoder. These are excellent, and cheap:
    http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...me=102-1308-ND

Regards,
    Ray L.