586,067 active members*
4,749 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Disaster Strikes!

Well i guess the dust buildup and the shavings were to much for her..... The CNC computer died today. It will boot but after BIOS the keyboard dose not work, not even to reinstall windows.... We had a good run i guess. I have had that computer for 7 years now. This just gives me an excuse to buy a mini ITX motherboard and build the computer right into my controller box :-D

Have you tried a different keyboard?

CR.

If it has a ps2 keyboard and mouse (most likely from 7 years age) swap the keyboard into the mouse port, usually they will work in each other. Failing that usb to ps2 adapters are very common!

My CNC PC did something similar a few months ago, all I had to do was to remove the RAM, very lightly clean the contacts on the RAM module with an eraser and reinstall it.

AFIK, windows loads into RAM first, so if it can't get there nothing else is going to happen.

It booted right up and is still working flawlessly. Just something real simple to check.

LOL, my laptop has chips wedged under certain keys, and a chip has snuck into the video and permanently turned on red for every pixel.

Eventually I have to take it apart and blow it out.

It sits a good 5 feet from the mill behind a tooling rack, and the chips still get everywhere!

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I have noted that at a lot of companies with dust and chips flying around they have keyboard covers which allow the keyboard to be used while sealing out all contaminants. Hope that helps.

Hi Folks

Suggest you use the cheap roll up silicon rubber keyboards that are available for arround the $10 mark. There are various designs including some that have LED illumination. Chips and cutting fluid are not good for the normal keyboards.

Regards

Pat

I use silicon keyboards for two machines (works great), but on my laptop, I use a product called Press and Seal. It's like saran wrap, but sticks well to other stuff too. I just wrap it around and replace it every few months. Not crystal clear, but I know where all the keys are.
    Lee

The keyboard is USB, and the problem isnt the keyboard because it works fine in BIOS. Once windows starts to boot I have no use of it... not even to hit a key to start the windows setup... I'm going to blow it out and try a few other things but I think she might be the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    The keyboard is USB, and the problem isnt the keyboard because it works fine in BIOS. Once windows starts to boot I have no use of it... not even to hit a key to start the windows setup... I'm going to blow it out and try a few other things but I think she might be the motherboard.
    If the problem was in the motherboard, the keyboard would not work in the BIOS. Does it work in safe mode?

I cant press F8 to enter safe mode.

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    I cant press F8 to enter safe mode.
    So far, everything you've described sounds like just a bad keyboard....

Try a different keyboard. If that works, turn the old one upside down and beat hell out of the bottom. Sometimes that will dislodge foreign matter causing problems.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    turn the old one upside down and beat hell out of the bottom.

CR.
    ROFLMAO on the bit of advice CR. I have wanted to beat the hell out of many, many different computers. Surprisingly doing just that fixes things sometimes and gets you back up and running.

I am about ready to do the beating thing on the X Axis DRO connector for my mini mill. The damn thing just does not want to maintain connectivity. I am about ready to chop the end off it and solder the wires to the slider.

RWW

FIXED!!!!!! plugged in a PS2 keyboard and all is good... opened windows and it looks like it dumped all USB drivers.... I'm reinstalling windows now. It needed a fresh install anyway. Thanks all of you for your advice... and beating electronics ALWAYS works what are you talking about lol