586,383 active members*
3,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Hi Hemsworthlad and thanks for the quick reply.

I am not sure about wich speed I want on this, just as fast as possible. I saw that you
    had gotten yours up to around 8 m/min, and I guess a speed between 8 and 12 m/min
    would be a good speed for me.
    The cutarea on this is 2600 x 1300mm and is made to fit the norwegian standard sized
    mdf-, plywood- and other types of woodenboards. As well as different sheets of plastics.

Håvard

Hi Havard,

As promised i,ve drawn up what i had in mind when i was going to use R&P, sorry about the rubbish quality of the rendering but i just haven't had time to figure out how to set this side of the program up yet and it's only letting me have basic renders.?. . . . . The model is a lot better.

This is just a quick sketch up though and doesnt take into account any bearing blocks etc so if you go in this direction a proper accurate drawing would be advisable.

Think you should get the idea from them though, obviously the other side is just a mirror of this but without the stepper's and stepper mount brackets.
    The top stepper is for Y axis and the shaft is a ballscrew, the lower one is a transfer shaft to other side.

Hope this helps.

Dean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic3.jpg   pic1.jpg   pic2.jpg   pic4.jpg  

pic5.jpg  

Thank you very much Hemsworthlad. I hope it wasn't to much truble for you.
    Your idea is very good, and I think I will try to make something out of it.
    Your drawings were simple, but simple is always the best way to go when you are trying
    to descibe something. What kind of drawing program do you use?

Thank again,
    Håvard

Your very welcome, It's just a rough sketch up but wouldn't take alot more work to draw it up properly if you knew the specs of the bearings etc and the dimensions of rails, gantry materials etc.

I normally use Alibra but i,ve just download Rhino4 and i'm trying the demo which is limited to 25 saves, thats why i cant do good renderings.

I do like it though very easy to use, Can knock a model up in no time.
    I email you the model if you like but it will be a large file.?

Got some new photos of new design

Thanks to Hemsworthlad I finaly made up my mind of what method to use for the drive of my axises, and this photos shows my new design.

I also made some changes on the frame, to make it more simple and "prettier". I changed my square tubes from 40x40mm to 80x80mm and made the tube that holds the linear guides for x-axis 80x120mm. I think this frame will be rigid and good.

With this design I will be able to cut pieces about 1350mm wide, 2400mm long and 350mm high. That means that I can use this machine for prototyping off quite big things

Have a nice weekend
    Håvard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.jpg   02.jpg   03.jpg  

Deflection Calculations?

havardak,

What will the Y-axis weigh?
    Have you done any deflection calculations for the X-axis?
    Depending upon deflection calculations, you may want additional upright support for the X-axis.

BTW, Looking good, when does building commence? Please remember pictures of the build.

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Hi Randy and thanks for quick reply.

I haven`t done all the calculations yet, so I don`t now the total weight of the y- and z-axis ( is this what they call "gantry"). Everything except the mainframe, motor, linear guides, bearings, etc. will be made of aluminum, and also the long beam is hollow to make the weight as low as possible.
    I see now that I have forgot to draw in the diagonal supports for the legs on the frame, and that will help get the frame more rigid.

I not sure when I can start building this. I don`t have my own workshop since I studying and live in the middle of a city, but I hope to build one at my parent farm when summer comes back. My goal is to start building in the late summer. This is a very long time project, so I got plenty of time to draw up a very detailed drawing and make the machine theoretically perfect before I start building.

Now it`s midnight in Norway and I have to get up at 6 am to get to my weekend job as a mechanic at a bread bakery.

Good night
    Håvard

Really like your design Håvard.

I'm playing with the idea to make a similar machine and I have found this supplier for trapes screws: http://www.pretec.no (Norwegian). It's cheap compared to ballscrews and widely available even in the country of fjords and mountains... :P

Page 2 of 2 12