586,035 active members*
3,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutter build

Hi everyone.

I've wanted to build a laser cutter for quite some time now but couldn't find anything that fit what I needed. So I'm currently in the process of designing my own. I've had a little read of the forum which was really helpful but I've just got a few questions..

Regarding the stepper controller, obviousley the first two channels are for the X & Y axis. Is the laser however controlled by the third. For example with different power settings for cutting/engraving?

As this is my first cutter I'm keeping things small-scale. I'm only planning to be able to cut thin card at most. What would be the minimum recomended laser power for this? Although I am aware that focusing the laser has an impact on how effective the laser is.

Whilst looking for a stepper controller I came accross this one and I was just wondering if anyone here has used one and is it any good for the price?
    http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/3-ax...placement.html

Are there any good USB stepper motor controllers out there which are sub £50?

Sorry for all the n00b questions but thanks for anyone who can help.

Alex.

I would recommend http://www.routoutcnc.com/ , their 2.5amp driver kit should be fine and they have excellent support (slightly over the 50 quid budget but better long term, if you blow an axis you just replace that one board).

You really only need 2 axis drivers and the breakout board, then depending on your laser driver you can use either PWM or a variable voltage.

What is you total budget? It may be cheaper to buy a small Chinese laser for under £1000 and modify it or just use it 'as is'. The laser components can be reused if you decide to scale up later.

Zax.

I am in the UK too.
    If you go down the route of upgrading a rabbit laser -
    I was looking at the routout board. I spoke to the owner of the company and he offered to help with the connections if I posted him a picture of the inside of my rabbit 3040. He also has some instructions on their own forum.
    So I think they are probably the best option as they are based in the UK. So if any spares are needed it will be quick to post them.

I haven't gone as far as buying the board yet so cant say much about suitability for your project.

I have been building a laser too. I have it fully functional for cutting and basic engraving.

PWM straight out of Mach3 on the parallel port is acceptable for rough speed adjustment which is fine for cutting and on/off engraving. I don't know of a truly by pixel "grayscale" engrave solution for the homebuilder yet.

I am working on a solution with a microcontroller based solution. Check out my build log for all the details.

http://www.buildlog.net/cnc_laser/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by breaksbb View Post
    Hi everyone.

I've wanted to build a laser cutter for quite some time now but couldn't find anything that fit what I needed. So I'm currently in the process of designing my own. I've had a little read of the forum which was really helpful but I've just got a few questions..

Regarding the stepper controller, obviousley the first two channels are for the X & Y axis. Is the laser however controlled by the third. For example with different power settings for cutting/engraving?

As this is my first cutter I'm keeping things small-scale. I'm only planning to be able to cut thin card at most. What would be the minimum recomended laser power for this? Although I am aware that focusing the laser has an impact on how effective the laser is.

Whilst looking for a stepper controller I came accross this one and I was just wondering if anyone here has used one and is it any good for the price?
    http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/3-ax...placement.html

Are there any good USB stepper motor controllers out there which are sub £50?

Sorry for all the n00b questions but thanks for anyone who can help.

Alex.
    Hi Alex!

I can confirm that the 3 Axis CNC Driver Board for Micro-Stepper Replacement is a popular product that really does work well. It is priced at just £32.99.

To say thank you for the product mention I've attached a promo code below that gives you 20% discount on your next order at Virtual Village.

The promo code to use is VVN392R. Simply type in the code when prompted in checkout and the discount will be applied.

If there is anything more I can help with to do with our CNC range or any other products on our site, please don't hesitate to get in contact with me.

Thanks again!

Claire Bartels
    [email protected]
    http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk