586,096 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buy VM10 or ?

I'm about to buy my first Cnc-mill and have been offered a brand new Hurco VM10 with 'sub contractor' software package (DXF, Ultipocket, Swept surface with 3D mould etc.) for about 50K$.

Since I know very little about this machine other than its small enough to fit in my workshop and seems to have a very easy-to-learn software I need some more input before making a choice.

Whats the strenght and weaknesses of these machines? What other choices are available for similar money and still have a x/y/z of ~400-500mm but are not larger then ~2,5x2,5x2,5m?

I´m a newbie to cad/cam and would like to program the machine on the floor if possible and therefore a good Dialog system feels necessary. Will most likely do a lot of prototypes and only short series.

Buy it. you'll love it when you've had it a month.

This is really good price for this machine. Buy it. Winmax is a best control for you. Machines are strong and trouble free.
    Remember that if you are going to mill advanced 3d parts hurco's 3d dialog functions could be not enough for you. 2d and simple 3d you can program at the machine fast and easy.
    Sorry for my English... :|

Take it you will not be sorry, The programming is very easy and it is a pleasure working with it. Quick setups as well and you will do most of your programming on the machine!

Hurco

Working on machines for the last 20years. Doing field service. I landed my retirement job now, and they have Hurcos.
    1. Operators love the control.
    2. One of the most unreliable machines i've ever come across.
    3. Made in taiwan, with lots of "new" parts that are no good from the factory
    4. Boards and control parts are way overpriced, and hard to troubleshoot.
    5. Low end machines, buy a HAAS, more reliability, and a lot cheaper for parts.
    6. I will say service from Hurco is good, they respond fast.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Working on machines for the last 20years. Doing field service. I landed my retirement job now, and they have Hurcos.
    1. Operators love the control.
    2. One of the most unreliable machines I've ever come across.
    3. Made in taiwan, with lots of "new" parts that are no good from the factory
    4. Boards and control parts are way overpriced, and hard to troubleshoot.
    5. Low end machines, buy a HAAS, more reliability, and a lot cheaper for parts.
    6. I will say service from Hurco is good, they respond fast.
    I second that!!!!! I also am currently working on Hurco's and could not have put it in better words myself.
    I think anyone that thinks a hurco is a good machine probably never had the pleasure to run something like Haas, Okuma or Mazak.
    All comments made are my opinion!

I just purchased a VM-10 and thought it would be delivered today but the trucking company is running a few days behind. I did look at Haas's and would have bought a Mazak but don't have the head height for one. Bought the Winax classics package and rigid tap for now. This is my first CNC vertical, really wanted a Mazak!

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    I second that!!!!! I also am currently working on Hurco's and could not have put it in better words myself.
    I think anyone that thinks a hurco is a good machine probably never had the pleasure to run something like Haas, Okuma or Mazak.
    I had the pleasure of running a Haas mill and don't know what so great about them. They are cheap and have a great G&M code controller, but that's about it. They are not that good at prototyping do to long set up times vs. Hurco (especially if you don't have a good CAM system) and not that good for production runs do to liability issues (tool changer, etc.). I'm not saying Hurco's are superior when It comes to quality, but I don't think they're any worse than the HAAS machines.

I my self would lean toward the Hurco machine if you plan on doing a lot of "Shop floor programing". The Winmax Control and the graphics screen is a tough combination to beat for that type of work. Although the complex 3d work is best left to a quality CAM system.

Go for the hurco! After many years running different controls they are the easiest to do short runs and can run any g-code any of the other companys can and just as well. The cnc world is full of people who hate anything but what they are use to. The truth is there all good machines and anyone who says different is selling something. Just my 2 cents. Judleroy

Common guys !

Do you honestly advocate a Haas or Mazak over a Hurco when it comes to prototype work done on the floor ?

This is a no brainer.
    No way can you manually program a Haas as fast as a Hurco, and thats not even considering the math calculations that Hurcos do for you
    I have yet to have a Haas tell me where a tangent point is, or a helix coordinate ?
    He said he will do it from the floor
    He does not have CAD/ CAM experience.
    It would take a year to learn MasterCam and G code
    He can run the Hurco in a day

Rich

As far as the mechanics of the machine and it's construction, You may have some points, but please spell them out instead of general comments.
    Things like age and model number and Part issues.
    I know shops that dump their Haas's after 5 years, because they do not do preventive maintenace..Or have 20,000 hours on them

Hello

Just wanted to post some youtube links demonstrating how to program Hurco's with Winmax controls

Hurco Ultimax Training Video by hurconotes
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW1I2FpoS98"]YouTube- Hurco Ultimax Training Video[/ame]

Hurco Tool Setup and Calibration Video by hurconotes
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_amUKonYo"]YouTube- Hurco Tool Setup and Calibration[/ame]

Hurco Part Setup Video by hurconotes
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTvXlXrhIf4"]YouTube- Hurco Part Setup[/ame]

Just wanted to put it out there.

The older Ultimax 3 and 4 controls are very similar to the to the Winmax controls.

Doses anyone have any good videos for MAZAK or other conversational type controllers. I would love to see them.

I think these are excellent machines to start out with cause they are easy to learn, quick to setup, and offer a lot of value for the money so your ROI will be quicker. Although you may want to invest in a better machines as your shop and experience expands... or you may find out these machines fit your needs perfectly.

I've got a 2007 VM1, one of the first with WinMax. I am the second owner. As pointed out by the techs, they did have problems. But I can tell you that Hurco support goes above and beyond expectations to take care of the customer inspite of the warranty term.

My wifes company has both a VM10 and a VM10U, the machines have performed flawlessly.

From an operating stand point, the WinMax control is nice, it's really made for a green CNC operator or a one man show. I program off line & use the ISNC side of the machine. Help files are all on the control, there's a number of 'panic' buttons if you will. Along with the BRB (big red button) there a Feed Hold, Feed Stop, Interrupt. Interrupt is a great feature which allows you to at any point during the machining cycle to stop, take a look and pick back up where it let off. You can adjust the Feed & Spindle speed on the fly which is handy if you have chatter or some harmonic. The control is clean & uncluttered. I'm happy with mine.

Hurco's - operators love them, service techs hate them. Okuma and Mori do a better job IMO with everything, including the conversational programming. I don't know Mazak. We had more Hurco's than any one else on the west coast, and 90% of all down machines in this shop are Hurcos. We now are replacing all of them with better quality machines. The Old hurco's are way more reliable than the new junk they are sending out for sure. Just another taiwan machine with a un-reliable control on it.

So how did the install go?

Oh I don't know about the service tech's hating them. I've worked on the VM1 / 10 series a couple of times since their inception and I thinkl the VM10 is so much better than the VM1 series. 80% of the problems I've worked on with the VM1 is tool changer related and about 80% of those were customer / operator induced. Low oil level and inexperienced people trying to cover up an operator induced screw up by shifting air valves that they shouldn't even be near!

Now the VM series has the same electric drive ATC like the VMX series (hence the change from VM1 to VM10 designation) so all of those problems are out the window!

For the money, it's a great little machine.

None of them are hard to troubleshoot. It just depends on how good you are at it.