586,060 active members*
4,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Can anyone help me with toolpaths for this???

Can anyone help me with toolpaths for this???

I'm trying to generate toolpaths for this part and the canopenertoolpath1.jpg is the top view of the part and toolpaths. the following pictures are the facing operation (the part is being cut from a 3/16" X 2" X 6" tool steel and it is .0718" thick), and next i'm cutting the pocket of the can opener. I'm trying to get rid of the circled material in canopener toolpath5.jpg. can anyone help me fix my toolpath so i can remove this material??? Also if someone help me adjust the amount and depth of cuts since this material is tool steel and decrease the feed and speed that would much obliged. This part is in MasterCam X3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canopener toolpath1.JPG   canopener toolpath2.JPG   canopener toolpath3.JPG   canopener toolpath4.JPG  

canopener toolpath5.JPG   canopener toolpath6.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try using pocket toolpath in stead of contur toolpath. Only use contur on the outside contur of the part, and use the pocket for the inside. This will rough out the material you illustrate in pic. 5.
    Ajust the debth of cut in the parameter of the pocket toolpath. Otherwise it will rough all the material out in one go. Here you can ajust a finish cut as well. Hope this can help you out...

I'm now having problems with the pocket toolpath. After i clicked on all of the edges it told me i needed to have a closed path and not an open one. Can you help me adjust the path so that it is closed???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canopener toolpath7.JPG   canopener toolpath8.JPG   canopener toolpath9.JPG   canopener toolpath_10.JPG  

canopener toolpath_11.JPG   canopener toolpath_12.JPG  

Also can someone help me with generating the outer toolpath the shape of the canopener??? The depth of the part is .0718 inches.

Trim the geometry, to close the boundary.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

I got the pocket to work. Now i just need help with getting the outer shape toolpath. Can anyone help me with the outer toolpath???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canopener toolpath_14.JPG   canopener toolpath_13.JPG   canopener toolpath_15.JPG   canopener toolpath_16.JPG  

canopener toolpath_17.JPG   canopener toolpath_18.JPG  

here is the file:

That should be easy. Use the contur toolpath, and select the chain around the part and hit enter. (Select the lower chain on the part). This chain looks like it has the contur of the part you wish to have.

I'm only getting a part of the chain when i did what you said:

Can you show me with pictures how do you select the chain around the part??? i selected the lower part and got this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canopener toolpath_26.JPG   canopener toolpath_26a.JPG  

Select C-PLANE and not 3D and try again.

I'm trying C-Plane but i'm still having trouble.

Try select rough contur and select the whole part. Then define the max debth under the parameters and select a point on the bottom of the part. Mastercam should recognize the contur then.
    If not, then you will have to trim the geometry, to close the boundary/chain here as well, like Mike Mattera says.
    But I can´t see why it´s not selecting the whole chain from the pictures you show.

Quote Originally Posted by schwinndk View Post
    Try select rough contur and select the whole part. Then define the max debth under the parameters and select a point on the bottom of the part. Mastercam should recognize the contur then.
    If not, then you will have to trim the geometry, to close the boundary/chain here as well, like Mike Mattera says.
    But I can´t see why it´s not selecting the whole chain from the pictures you show.
    I went to the rough contour option in Toolpaths but i couldn't select the whole part. Also how can i trim the geometry since the part was originally a igs file imported into mastercam from solidworks 2009???

I have uploaded the part in a zip file in my previous post. Can you take a look at it to see what i'm doing wrong???

If you can´t select the whole part it might be that it is surfaces only. Use the "surface to solid" feature witch should stitch it together and make it into a solid part. Then you should be able to select the whole part.
    Also, Try upload the Iges file..

Quote Originally Posted by schwinndk View Post
    If you can´t select the whole part it might be that it is surfaces only. Use the "surface to solid" feature witch should stitch it together and make it into a solid part. Then you should be able to select the whole part.
    Also, Try upload the Iges file..
    I did upload the file, however the igs file is saved in a .MCX format. It was in an earlier post of mine on this thread.

Here it is again:

Actually here is a better file:

As far as I can tell, the answer to this question has been answered on 2 different forums along with a file attached from someone that fixed up the contour problems.

Mike in MN

http://www.cncbasics.com
    http://www.cncbasicsforum.com
    http://www.mastercamforum.com
    http://www.mastercamblog.com
    www.cncbasics.com

If you had it in Solidworks, why did you export it in IGES? Open the SWorks file direct and most of your problems will go away.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

you can draw a curve from surface edge,and chain it.