586,075 active members*
4,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Employment Opportunity / RFQ (Request for Quote). > Employment Opportunity > RFQ: Plastic parts and sheets routing, milling, 2.5D
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation RFQ: Plastic parts and sheets routing, milling, 2.5D

Hi y'all,

I have a need for low-volume production (20-30 units/week) of some plastic parts. Might as well qualify as prototypes, or "repeated" prototypes if you want.

No reason to go into further details at this point, I'll just let the pictures do the talking. One thing I need to clarify though, is that I already have these parts and I "only" need those shapes cut in them.

Material is polycarbonate, 1/16" (0.06) thick, size cca 4" by 3"

The second image is an acrylic insert that I need created so that it fits that pocket we just cut. I attached a zip file with the models in various formats (download here). I have a set of 1/64" (15 mil) router bits if you need them for those sharp interior corners. I also have a 12x12 fiberboard fixture exactly shaped for the parts if you can make use of it.

Please let me know if you can do these, for approximately what cost and, most importantly, how soon can you set everything up to run a first batch.

Thank you!

Other considerations
    Location: I strongly prefer someone in the Chicago, IL area for many reasons. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter. Actually, let's put it as a second preference (just a preference!), the location to be within FedEx Ground overnight areas. (zip 60666)

As I mentioned in another post,
    Prototyping firms are prohibitively expensive and machine shops are hard to deal with because of the small order sizes. They tend to just not bother, even after I make it clear that I'm not looking for free or cheap services. Out of the few shops who would take on the job, lead times are around 2 or more weeks.

RFQ

Hi

If you have the time, I would like to get an idea on your USA prices. The parts are quite small and USPS is quite cheap so working from New Zealand may be an option.

The small bit may be a problem with most CNC shops and an engraver may be a better option.

http://www.marshland.co.nz

Cheers Wallace.

Small Parts

Australia may also be an alternative?

Dennis

AdeptCimCentre.com.au

FXC,

We would be very interested in quoting your project even though we are slightly beyond your 1-day ground shipping zone (Akron, Ohio). We have a variety of CNC routers and HAAS mills that would do the job just fine.

One question for now, what type of finish are you looking for on the milled surfaces, especially the acrylic?

Also, please provide an email address and contact information that I can send a proper quote.

Thanks,
    Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    [email protected]

I would be looking at waterjet or laser to process those parts it would be a hell of a lot less expensive

Pm'd

we can provide best quality at lower price

Dear sir,
    This is arul from, chennai,India. We have the experience of machining polycarbonate and acrylic materials to my korean customers for making some guages. Pls be free to reply back.

Hey,

I am interested in cutting your parts and am in your next day area. I am in Iowa though zip 50583. Before I could give you a price I would need a little more info. Just milling out the contour in the lid and the shaped hole I assume. As for the insert, is that cutting the whole part or just the shape on the one side?

I could fit them in as soon as we figured out price and so on.

Thanks
    Dave

Wilt Wire & Fab Ph# 712-661-9613

Hi, I can easily machine these at a very reasonable cost and better than 0.003" tollerance using 1/8th dia carbide tooling with spindle speeds up to 60,000rpm on industrial 3axis pcb machine centres.
    I guess Lead times for first batch could be a couple of weeks inc. postage from Scotland.
    production time on 30 sets would depend on how well polycarbonate machines.
    Once programing and tooling setup a batch should take no more than two days to machine, any extra time would be postage.
    I normally do engraving work, sub-contract and test fixturing work and can machine hard 15.0mm cast acrylic but would have to test some polycarbonate.
    I understand location is a little far out but if you are interested I'm available and can test/engineer and quote after I have your provisional approval.
    feel free to check out precision engineering section or www.rjlguitars.co.uk
    Bobby

Small bits from what I see on here is'nt a problem for most shops or mine what soever. But what is a problem is foreigners trying to make USA business's bid pennies to the dollar on jobs that should bring a fair dollar to our own economy. We have high energy bills and taxes so there for we can't quote as low of prices. Bam once somebody "only Americans and Canadians" comes on here with a job that could be a ongoing small production job BAM!! there is some foreigner looking to steel it away from the struggling American business's. HE SAID SOMEONE CLOSE, atleast someone in his own country. I pray he goes American and I beleive he probably will find and go with some one in America, hopefully me, but this job seems to have got alot of attention, so who knows. Anyway what Americans charge is none of you foreigners business, butt out. Americans paved the road to industry and all it's trades that go along with it, you foreigners have no right to try taking work from us. I don't see any foreigners giving me work any American work, why should we give you any more then the rest of the morons allready have.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiavi View Post
    Hi

If you have the time, I would like to get an idea on your USA prices. The parts are quite small and USPS is quite cheap so working from New Zealand may be an option.

The small bit may be a problem with most CNC shops and an engraver may be a better option.

http://www.marshland.co.nz

Cheers Wallace.

Exclamation Reply to replies and PMs

I updated the OP but it doesn't show up. Just in case it never will, here are the updates:

*** UPDATES ***
    For anyone having trouble downloading the model files, it's most likely because of JavaScript being disabled in your browser for some reason. For instructions on how to re-enable JavaScript, click here. The package itself in in standard ZIP format and any modern computer should handle that out-of-the-box but, if again for some reason it doesn't, try WinZip.

Acrylic insert surface finish: I realize that most surfaces will have a frosted look after machining. Luckily for acrylics, this is not something a butane torch can't handle and as long as it's not grossly rough, I will personally do the flame polishing.

Acrylic insert bottom: Yes, the "dimple" in the bottom needs to be done. Unless you have a machine capable of turning it over, this means two runs.

Materials: Again, the "boxes" are already made, i.e. they're taken off existing products. The acrylic for the inserts is of a very special type so I'm also sending that in.

Interior sharp corners in the "holes" are, of course, to be rounded. However, I prefer a certain sharpness to remain, which is why I mentioned the 1/64" (15mil / 0.4mm) bits that I can send in if you don't have anything so small.

Overall precision and tolerances: I cannot provide a requirement here so I'll use layman's specs. Material is pretty thin, pockets are pretty shallow. The insert goes into the milled part and it has to fit. Shape-wise, it doesn't have to be perfect; it's not supposed to be airtight or anything, plus the human eye has its limits, too. Depth-wise, it really has to be flush; running your finger across the edges will certainly show if it isn't. And I'd prefer not having to use shims or glue to "adjust" this.

Shop location: What I said above remains. I thank those who've written from outside the USA but for the moment, it's just not practical. If I had to do large volumes AND I simply couldn't find anything here, I would maybe think about sending these outside the USA. I'd save China and some others for another incarnation, though.

Prices: By "RFQ", I mean RFQ but not literally. It's more like "Are you there - Can you do it -When". When I saw figures in the sub-$10 range, I didn't know how to take it. I know the economy is bad and everything but I need good work. This is not an invitation to inflate prices but please consider everything before I commit working with you.

Thank you!

I would like to quote but we are out of your area as far as Fed-ex ground overnight. If you can live with this being a couple of days out I will quote. Thanks in advance Ryan
    Ryan Null
    Brock Enterprises of VA LLC

How are you going to choose a supplier if you don't want people quoting in the sub $10 range?

Why would you assume that someone with a low price is going to do a sub standard job?

I don't know why your asking for quotes if you dont want competitive pricing.

Paul

I agree with you, but he probably is'nt to familiar with how these jobs slip away on here and how much competition there is locally and foreign. When I gave him a quote I came up to a dollar figure of a set amount of parts, each part at a certain price that covers a certain ammount of time. I can do each part fairly quick, so what I'm doing is adding up how many parts I can do in a hour "hopefully not stabbing myself in the foot" and pretty much he is paying a hourly rate just divided into the ammount of parts I can produce in that hour. So I'm quoting him per part, but it all equalls out to a hourly rate. That is on this job, and it depends on the job. Really I could boost my price up higher, but the chances of me getting the job then are very slim because of the amount of people quoting this dam thing at probably close to the same price I'm giving. The way I quoted I'm not going to lose or cut even I'm going to make money, which is what I'm in the market to do, make money and please my customers to keep them comming back to me for more. The material is fairly easy to cut so that also comes into play with these numbers that your seeing sir. If it were in steel then your going to see most likely a spike up in the price, but thats not the case. Also the leniancey on your tolerances are fairly loose so machine time is cut down by that which is another reason your seeing these prices. I would be also optimistic on who I would go with too, because not everyone on here does this for a living, like I do. I gave you options, as far with me so if you'd like to take the time and read through 1 of 2 of my pm's then you can either take me up on my offer or not, but I would appreciate some kind of communication back for all the time I have already put into quoting this job for you.

Thanks,
    Jim at Universal Precision Machine

Quote Originally Posted by fatal-exception View Post
    How are you going to choose a supplier if you don't want people quoting in the sub $10 range?

Why would you assume that someone with a low price is going to do a sub standard job?

I don't know why your asking for quotes if you dont want competitive pricing.

Paul

Exclamation Request Ended

I'd like to thank everybody who took the time and went through my drawings. The number of messages I received was a bit over my expectations and trying to decide now who I'm gonna go with is a job in and of itself.

I'm not sure if it's because the place (online forum) or because of the times, but this is definitely a buyers market. I honestly wouldn't want to be in the shoes of those looking for work here.

I'd like to use this chance to apologize that I cannot respond to everyone who PM'd. What I can do (and will do) is post my choice here, along with a brief explanation on why I decided to go with a certain supplier. Perhaps you'll find that useful in future dealings.

Thanks again and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FXC View Post
    I'd like to thank everybody who took the time and went through my drawings. The number of messages I received was a bit over my expectations and trying to decide now who I'm gonna go with is a job in and of itself.

I'm not sure if it's because the place (online forum) or because of the times, but this is definitely a buyers market. I honestly wouldn't want to be in the shoes of those looking for work here.

I'd like to use this chance to apologize that I cannot respond to everyone who PM'd. What I can do (and will do) is post my choice here, along with a brief explanation on why I decided to go with a certain supplier. Perhaps you'll find that useful in future dealings.

Thanks again and good luck!
    It is the economy, plus you posted "repeat work" on a forum where the average job is one time and averages $100-$500. Also it seems a lot of people on here have built their own machines that could handle your job.
    You seem smart enough to be leery of those who bid work so cheap that something must not be right with them. It is a buyer's market, use it to your advantage and don't release work to someone you are not comfortable with.
    Good luck, I hope you get good parts!

Remember the ones without work are out of work for a reason. The cream rises to the top and you get what you pay for. I say definately go USA until there are equal trade laws with us and the rest of the world.

Agree with you on the definately go USA, glad to see someone else say it "I've been feeling alone". As for equal trade laws I don't exactly know what you mean by that, but I beleive everyone who ships work out of the USA should be taxed a tax so that go out of the country wouldn't even be a viable means of making proffits.

Quote Originally Posted by CAF Cues View Post
    Remember the ones without work are out of work for a reason. The cream rises to the top and you get what you pay for. I say definately go USA until there are equal trade laws with us and the rest of the world.

Whats going on here? This job been awarded or has it gone belly up?

Exclamation

The job has been awarded to... me. I decided to buy a small machine and mill these at home because after posting this job I realized that outsourcing it would prevent the overall project to run smoothly.

There's probably nothing I can do to make up for the wasted time of all those who sent a quote or wrote a post. A big, sincere and colorful THANK YOU! goes to everyone who participated one way or the other.

Page 1 of 2 12