586,121 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

7 X 12 CNC Lathe conversion

Hi

I am looking at converting a conquest (C2) lathe 7 X 12.

This will be my second conversion as i have converted a X1 long table.

I want to utilize the same cnc control box and wonder if 200oz steppers would be enough?

I was thinking of using a belt drive to increase the torque an tips on what ratio?

I am also thinking of using the standard lead screws on both axes to start with.

I have had my 7X12 CNC running with 187 OzIn Unipolar Vexta PK268-02A's in half-winding Bipolar mode for years. I finally replaced the Z motor with a 287 Bipolar Keling motor. About doubled the rapid to 1600 mm/min (although I have some sort of interference problem I recently discovered and a losing the occasional step, so I have halved the rapids for now, with reduced the problem about 10X.)

Mine has 2:1 belt reductions on both Axis. I did this more to avoid alignment hassles than for increased torque though. I really like having the X motor tuck under out of the way.

The swarf guard on Z and the enclosure are a real benefit for a CNC.

I replaced everything above the saddle. The stock X set up seriously limits the cross slide travel.

I wanted to fit a ball screw on X (zero backlash is more important on X than on Z), but haven't installed the little Roton screw I bought due lack of space under the cross slide for pair of nuts and anti backlash widget.

The cross slide currently has a 10x3mm trapezoid screw with two nuts, which I regularly need to adjust. Originally I put a 15x4 trapezoid screw with a Nylatron on Z. It now has a roton cheap rolled ball screw with a single nut. This was no real improvement over the Trapezoid set up.

I won't do any further upgrades to this lathe, as it is simply too small and flexible. The only reason I got it is lack of space. Still it has done good service and acted as a lathe, mill, drill press, bore grinder etc.

http://www.wrathall.com/Interests/interests_index.htm

Take some time to set up/ repair the tail stock. They are truly crap on these lathes!

I burnt out my original DC motor and have a 1HP motor with VFD driving it now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5698_1Small.JPG   IMG_5706Small.JPG   IMG_5707Small.JPG   IMG_5708Small.JPG  

Regards,
    Mark

cheers for the info.