586,537 active members*
2,869 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

King Scorpion 80/20 cnc mill build thread

Hi all, well I've built one machine and now I'm at it again. The origanal plan was to build an all metal machine until my drillpress ruined my roller assemblies. So I had to go back to the drawing board.

I used my cnc machine to make some roller assemblies out of MDF. No worries, they will not be used for long. I'm going to be useing this machine as a CNC drill press to machine out the roller assemblies perfectly. Over the coming months, this machine will go through several revisions, with each revision, hopefully, making the machine smaller, heavier and stronger. Hopefully after the 3rd or 4th revision it'll be a steel working machine deserving of the name King Scorpion...lol I don't plan to work in steel much, if any, but I'd like to have that option if needed.

I'd like to get to that steel working goal for around $250 - 500, minus the electronics and tooling. I have all the electronics, so really I'm just going to try and make the most out of the materials I buy. I'm about $125 in so far.

Oh yea, I'm shooting for a final work area of 24x9x9.

Should be another update and more pictures this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side.jpg   Untitled.jpg   IMG_2229.jpg  

I thought I'd update with some more pictures. I have my Z and Y axis mostly assembled. I'm very happy with how it's rolling and how sturdy the linear components are. I have to say, trying to make these just reinforces what a great product cncrouterparts have with their linear carriages. I'm almost tempted to order 3 sets but I have a plan and I'm sticking with it

I'm a little worried about the leggs I made. They are only partially bolted on but I'm concerned they may be too weak to withstand a lot of back and forth movement. I'm going to redesign them this week.

Pretty much all my linear components are done. I just need a good day where it's not raining to finish my rails for my x axis. If I can get outside tomorrow, I should have another update.

Someone wanted to see my ghetto table/sawdust barrier. That's my old cnc machine that's building this one. I'm very proud of her so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old cnc.jpg   weakleggs.jpg   front.jpg  

cool and unique design. It looks like a damn scorpion!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    cool and unique design. It looks like a damn scorpion!
    Thanks for the compliment. My daughter named it scorpion but now she is saying it looks like a duck. Maybe I'll change the name to Duck Mill lol.

...I'd keep Scorpion. Example -

"Check out my new Scorpion Mill!" - Awesome!

"Check out my new Duck Mill!" - Quack!

LOL Cheetah, I'm with you. As long as it doesn't wobble like a duck I'll be happy.

I've been sick for the past 2 weeks so progress has been slow. I finally made myself work on it this past weekend and made some progress. I'm happy with how rigid the Z axis has turned out. All the axis roll smoothly and securely. I have no idea how long it'll stay as rigid as it is but I'm confident it'll last long enough to machine replacement parts out of aluminum for the next revision of the machine.

The bad news is, my 4 year old has made off with some parts I cnc'd off my old machine. The really bad news is I didn't realize this until I completely disassembled my old cnc machine and started assembling this one. As it stands, I'm going to have to make 1 stepper mount, 1 screw mount, and 3 mounts for my bearings that hold the lead screw. I could put together my old cnc machine and make them again but that would take longer than making the parts by hand. I've already made 1 crude mount. It's ugly but it'll work for now.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to finish making the last parts by hand and mount my MDF table top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back.jpg   front2.jpg  

BTW, does anyone know where I can get some cheap T track. My local harbor freight used to have some but when I went by this weekend they were out. I also didn't see any on their website.

FandZ

Looking good, and thanks for the bump on the linear carriages. FYI, I have some older stock of carriages where the bearings in the slots are recessed a little bit more (so there's less clearance between the bearings and the extrusion), but they are otherwise functionally equivalent. I can sell them to you for half normal price if you're interested. If not, that's fine -- I understand the drive to do it all yourself, and you certainly seem capable of it! Those mdf parts are things of beauty.

Also, I second the sentiment that Scorpion > Duck. However, ezrouter already has a machine called the scorpion, so it loses points for originality. It looks a little like a praying mantis, but that's the wrong direction for a machine you're positive is going to work. Maybe the millipede, or the inch worm?

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

Ahren, that's just too too good of a deal to pass up on. That'll bump me ahead about 2 weekends worth of work.

In regards to clearance, I only have 3/4th an inch clearance on each side of my rails. As long as they will work in that space, you have your self a deal. Just let me know.

Maybe I'll name it Scorpio. hrmm... Maybe Claw? Or The Hell Raising Hang Nail. We shall see.

3/4" is perfect. They will actually work with 1/2", but for these older ones you would need to use button head screws (which you can't adjust in place), and it would just squeak by. With 3/4", you can use the new hex heads. Send me an email through the website and we can set it up.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

Quote Originally Posted by ahren View Post
    3/4" is perfect. They will actually work with 1/2", but for these older ones you would need to use button head screws (which you can't adjust in place), and it would just squeak by. With 3/4", you can use the new hex heads. Send me an email through the website and we can set it up.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com
    Will do

Just an update, I have all 3 axis running. I have the X and Y set at 135ipm (I'm Kernel locked at that speed) for rapids and all looks well. I did the Z at 100ipm. I doubt I could go any faster as as I'm only useing acme 1/2 10. I left the Y axis and the Z axis with only one screw support at the motor end. Seems to run fine. It may wear out my acme nuts faster but I plan on upgrading soon. I may leave it like that till revision 2. After I get the table mounted I'll get some pictures and video up. Yahoo for now

Updates...

Machine-ability: Wood, plastics, and acrylic for sure. No doubt about that. I built this one to help make aluminum replacement parts. However, since I ordered some linear carriages from Ahren @ cncrouterparts, there simply is no need now. I doubt I'll ever find out if I could machine aluminum with them. I'm hoping Ahren is able to get the rollers to me by the weekend so I can redo the Z axis in aluminum and steel this weekend. ( hint hint Ahren )

Accuracy and backlash:

No idea. Squares are square and circles are circles and parts fit together. I haven't measured yet but will update later.

Speed:
    The machine is running and running well. MY Y and X axis are both doing rapids at 135 ipm. I'm useing single start 1/10 acme screws. That's the most I could hope for unless I up the kernel speed or update my screws. I haven't done much testing on how fast I can cut and at what depth, however, I am cutting mdf at 100ipm and a 1/8th depth per pass. Maybe it could cut deeper and faster, however, lets be real. I'm useing MDF carriages here. Sooner or later they will get worn so I don't want to push them. I have the plunge rate set at 50 ipm and Z rapids at 75. It doesn't skip a beat.

Cut size: 9x19 inches.
    My z axis is adjustable so if the need would arise I could cut up to 9 inches in height. I'm guesstimating that as I haven't measured but my eyeball is usually good for about a half an inch +/- under 2 feet . As it is now, I have about 6 inches of clearance.

Table top:
    As you can see I'm useing 2 1.5inch thick MDF 6x9 adjustable table tops. The great thing about these is I can position them wider and closer to help with clamping a wide assortment of shapes. It's really versatile. I was going to do 3 across but I'm really liking the option that a sliding table tops give me. I may do a third and just slide it off when I only need two. I will be machining two more clamping slots going across the Y (shortest axis) for sure.

Dust collection:

Well the good news is it does gather most of the hazardous floating particles. Table tops and walls are no longer saturated in dust. YAY... just need to clean up the old dust...lol That bad news is, swarf ends up on the rails underneath. It's not that great but a huge improvement over nothing. Underneath the plastic shroud I made a diffuser to direct the hitachi router airflow outwards. That made a huge difference. This machines future is in metal cuttung and will be housed in it's own enclosure. So I'm not all too concerned on dust collection with this build. However, I will be cutting more wood with it for a while so I'm going to have to tweak the shroud some and possibly add an inner shroud around the router with an opening towards the vacuum hole.

Noise... Crap...

That little shop vac is loud. I'm going to have make a noise reduction box to house it in. I tried to make a muffler for it but it didn't do all that great. The router isn't bad, cutting noise is loud but in the next room it doesn't bother me.

The future

Carveone is sending me TWO 20 inch 5 start 1/2 10 acme rods. For free!!!!! I got the tracking number! lol He wouldn't take my money. What a guy. I owe him one for sure. That's going to put this machine in a whole new ball park for speed. 500ipm... 700??? Not sure but it'll be crazy seeing this little mill jump around at those speeds. I havn't decided on what I'm going to use for a lead nut. Brass nuts would be ideal as I intent to put a beating on the 80/20 frame and Arens rollers. I'm going to mull it over some more over the next week or so.

The table tops will be replaced with 1/2 or 3/4th inch aluminum replacements. I plan on wet cutting steel and aluminum so it'll have pump and rails so the fluid doesn't run everywhere.

The spindle will be replaced with a sherline mill head or a little machine x2 head. I'm leaning towards the little machine shop option.

I'm working out some cool ideas for rail protections. Most like ly I'll just be useing plastic that lays over it for a good while.

That's it for now. I'll try and get a video of it running up and some more pictures. Sorry for the horrible photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc.jpg  

Here is another view. Getting a little better with gimp and trimming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc above2.jpg  

Hey all, I did something today that I've never done, I ran up to the store and left the machine running. To my surprise nothing burned down and the machine didn't eat itself. I did leave my wife with instructions to check on it every 5 minutes or so. It really felt odd standing inline knowing I had a cnc machine running at home. Thought I'd share.

There have been some nice add ons to the machine recently. I'm using Ahrens rollers on my Z axis. They are working out great. I have the X and Y ready to assemble with Ahrens rollers but just havn't gotten to it. I've also redone the work table in 80/20 (9x20). Looks sweet and makes mounting things so much easier. Hopefully this weekend I can update with pictures. Other than that, the next big upgrade is going to be mounting my x2 mill head to the z axis. Then it's going to be time to rip into some aluminum.

No Pictures = No Proof

FandZ,
    We read all about these upgrades and what not....but no pictures to back it up. Lets go, we need "Machine P0rn". Let's see some video of your machine in action.:stickpoke

Seriously though, looks like a great machine. Nice work.

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!

Hopefully this weekend I'll get up off my lazy bones and find the camera and take a picture or 2. I just need to clean up the corner it's in first. Swarf everywhere. I'd be embarrassed to post such a mess online...lol

The real risk of having it run when you are gone is your 4 yr old. I know this feeling as I deal with the same kid's related challenges.

BTW - nice build and interesting concept.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    The real risk of having it run when you are gone is your 4 yr old. I know this feeling as I deal with the same kid's related challenges.

BTW - nice build and interesting concept.
    Very very true. Even being there is a risk. But I had the door locked and the wife was on guard so all was good.

Page 1 of 3 123