586,116 active members*
3,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Sourcing Hardware (1/8 Pin with threads)

Sourcing Hardware (1/8 Pin with threads)

I was unable to find anything like this on McMaster Carr.

I basically want an 1/8" pin that is 7/8" in length. The pin would have threads on top to secure itself after insertion.

Maybe this picture will help:

I need a way to secure that pin, I would love to just have the pin thread into the top of that part.

Or, while I have your attention, I am open to just about any idea for securing the pin.

Thanks,
    Swami

How accurate does the pin surface have to be....you might consider a rolled pin depending on it's use.

You could also use a set screw in your part to secure the pin.

What about a pressfit pin.

You could also recess it and use a spring ring.

You could also cap the end.

You could also thread the other end and the part it's fitting into.

thanks!!

I left out the part about how the pin has to be easily removed by the user. So that rules out a press fit IMO.

A steering knuckle is going to ride on that pin (this is an RC part). So I am not sure about the rolled pin. Is that a pin that compresses when you jam it in a hole?

I might have to go for the set screw, although it seems a little vulgar...

I like the idea of having the pin threaded top or bottom. Just haven't found a place that sells em!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Swami
    thanks!!

I left out the part about how the pin has to be easily removed by the user. So that rules out a press fit IMO.

A steering knuckle is going to ride on that pin (this is an RC part). So I am not sure about the rolled pin. Is that a pin that compresses when you jam it in a hole? (YES. So the steering knuckle is probably using the surface of the pin as a bearing surface?)

I might have to go for the set screw, although it seems a little vulgar...

I like the idea of having the pin threaded top or bottom. Just haven't found a place that sells em! (You probably won't find any without a socket head. There are some carriage pins...I that's what they are called that..but they are unthreaded.)

Thanks again.
    comments are embedded.

The past comes back to haunt me. I used to make parts for 12'th scale electric cars back in the 80's. It looks like you are using a dowel pin for a kingpin in your picture, toooo hard to machine. Try an 1/8" mild steel pin with a groove cut to accept an e-clip to fit just under the upper mount. Or drill thru the bottom end and use a longer pin with e-clips on the outer ends to retain the pin. If you still want to use the screw in method you will need to enlarge the upper portion of the spindle to recieve threads. Then take a #12 set screw and turn down a major portion of the threads to 1/8" leaving enough threads to thread into the upper portion of your spindle. One threaded spindle. The reason for the thread being on the top, if you would break it, it would be easier to remove.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.