586,766 active members*
8,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > How do you import DWG file from Inventor to AutoCAD 2010; offset bae drawing?

Exclamation How do you import DWG file from Inventor to AutoCAD 2010; offset bae drawing?

Hey guys,

Having an issue with Autocad 2010 DWG. I designed a part in 09 Inventor, saved it as a DWG. I have successfully imported the file into my 2010 Autocad. I can take the dimensions from the DWG drawing, but I cannot offset anything. I think this is an easy problem to resolve, it may be with the current layer or projecting the image.

I just want to use the imported DWG file and work off the file without redrawing the enitre thing, which i'm sure cannot be the case.

Thanks guys,

-Jason

I'm sure I've done this in the past....though I'm using acad 2009. Whenever I export Inv sketches I have to explode the crap out of them, and often there are overlapping dupliucate lines. It really gums things up but at the very worst you could probably move to another layer and trace right over the imported lines.

I wonder if they changed something in '10...

Jason,

I believe the issue might be in the way that you saved the file to .dwg

Did you create a new .dwg file in Inventor and create a base view of the 3D part or did you just save a copy of the 3D part to a .dwg file?

I know that I have imported .dwg files from Inventor 09 (created using the first method I described) to AutoCAD 09 without any issues. I will see if I can test this on AutoCAD 2010 but I will probably not be able to until sometime next week.

Best of luck,
    - John
    http://www.jdcncsolutions.com/

What I have done in the past is:
    1. open desired part file
    2. create a new drawing of the part
    3. add desired views to new drawing
    4. save copy of drawing (different than save as) in autocad dwg format (this is different than inventor dwg format)
    5. open the saved copy in autocad

This works to export only 2D geometry. It *can* work really well for exporting stuff to the plasma table. It will export complex geometry as multilines, which some controllers don't like, though.

I hope this helps,

Fegenbush

Jason,

I was able to test this earlier today on a machine with Inventor 09 and AutoCAD 2010. I had no issues importing the drawings and everything was still editable as shown in the last screen shot.

Here is an explaination of what is going on.

Photo 1:
    A new drawing file was created. File => New => Standard.dwg (ensure that you choose a .dwg file type) Place a base view and projected views into the drawing.

Photo 2:
    Save the file. I used File => Save Copy As and then chose an AutoCAD .dwg file. On the next screen it will ask you what version of AutoCAD to save the file for, I chose 2007 since that was the latest option available. It shouldn't make any difference anyway since all AutoCAD releases are backward compatible.

Photo 3:
    Shows the drawing file opened in AutoCAD 2010. Also see that the lines are editable as shown in the photo.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image01.jpg   image02.jpg   image03.jpg  
    - John
    http://www.jdcncsolutions.com/