586,111 active members*
3,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Not sure what i'm missing?

Not sure what i'm missing?

I am currently wiring up my controller box with 3 G320's that i purchased from industrial hobbies with the heat sink combo.

I was reading through the G320 installation notes and am confused. On the drawing of the gecko drive layout on pg. 6 (http://www.geckodrive.com/ycom/docum...EV4_MANUAL.pdf)
    term 12 is labelled as +5 VDC and is referred to as such throughout the document. However on my G320 drives, term 12 is labelled COMMON. this seems really odd to me. What am i missing?

BTW i'm using an external 5 v power supply for my encoders and i notice that mariss says that a 470 ohm resistor should be placed from term6 to term7 with an external power supply. I have never seen this before on Jeff's wiring diagrams and what not.How important is it to have?

Thanks in advance.

Gnome,
    Gecko uses +5V as "Common" between the geckos and the computer.
    You need to have the "common" on the geckos connected to the +5 on your breakout board.
    As for the 470 ohm resistor and and external supply, it won't work without it!

Jeff's drawing assumes the gecko is going to supply the voltage to the encoders.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Thanks for the help Bubba. Thats what i assumed it did, it just seemed weird that the term's were labelled differently, and to me COMMON means ground. Just wanted to be sure in case i screwed it up and let all the majic smoke out of the little box.

I got the drives to turn my motors, the only problem i am haviing now is when i disconnect ERR/RES from ENC + to try and reset the fault status externally as outlined on page 4. When i apply 5 vdc right to the ERR/RES term i cannot get the fault light to extinguish (no matter how long it is applied for), however when i apply power from ENC + the light extinguishes rapidly. When i try and read the voltage from the ENC + term, it seems to oscilate between 7.2 and 8.2 VDC.

What am i missing here? It as though when i apply 5VDC it is not enough power to unlatch the fault indicator.? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Gnome,
    This one is beyond me :frown:

Hopefully someone smarter than me will jump in here and help you out!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)