586,533 active members*
2,887 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool Changing Mid-Operation

I feel like a fool but I don't get the trick with tool-changing. I use CamBam to create the gcode for a series of operations that require a couple of different endmills. I assign them different tool IDs as part of the process. When I run the gcode, EMC2 prompts me to change the bits mid-operation at the right time as expected. It gives me the little "change the tool" dialog with a continue button. Pressing the continue button causes things to continue as expected.

The problem is that I don't have control over the machine at that point to actually change the endmill. I need to raise the z-axis to get the endmill into the collect and then I need to touch off the z-axis. Any help or walk through of this process would be great as it's currently driving me crazy.

I've tried pausing the operation with the dialog up but I still don't get manual control. I've also tried stopping the operation but I can't figure out how to get it to resume at the line where it left off properly. I know this is probably something super simple and I'm being a fool but it's got me stumped.

I've heard reference of a "go to line" ability somewhere but I've not seen how to use it. It seems horrible that I can't touch off in the middle of a running program. This is pretty critical for those of us that don't have a tooling that can be established in a tool table. I know this is available in Mach3.

Apparently there is also a "tool change position" that can be set somewhere - I'm assuming that can't be done via the Step Conf wizard so it must be in one of the configuration files. Setting it will be of little use if I can't conveniently resume the same file again.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Mike

You can not manually move the machine in the middle of a program like Mach 3.
    Run from line should be under 'machine' in Axis GUI. I'm really not sure how to use it. sorry

Chris M