586,072 active members*
4,767 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BP R2E4, How much to pay?

Hello, I have been looking for an older Bridgeport to retrofit to a Mach based control, and was looking for some advice on a local machine I found.

While not exactly local, I found an R2E4 series II rigid ram for sale about 100 miles from my location for $1,900.00. The controls are non-working, and the machine has set for over a year since the failure. I spoke with the original operator who seemed sincere, and based on his description, the iron is in good shape. (I have not seen it in person yet since I am not sure it's a worthwhile deal) It seems they had plenty of control issues with the machine over the years, and finaly just shoved it in the corner after it's latest board failure.

I am thinking $1,900.00 is too much for a dead machine, but have considered offering $1,500.00, which would get the machine in my garage for under $2k after I hire a truck to haul it home. I have read of these things being given away, or sold for a few hundred dollars, but what is a realistic price for a machine like this in the Northeast? (Central PA)

I am a hobbiest, but have been slowly been building a respectable home shop. While I may some day try to make a little money off of the equipment, right now all I want is a machine to mill aluminum that my cnc router cannot cut to the required tolerances for my own projects.

Anyone care to share there two cents on the machine/price? Also, if anyone out there has any leads on a cheaper old cnc mill in need of controls... Feel free to chime in.

I am just finishing up a retrofit on a bridgeport V2E3. This is my second retrofit, also for a home/garage shop.

First, I hope you are aware the series II bridgeport machine is a big hunk of iron! In a home shop, space is usually limited and the series I machines take up a lot less room. Go online and look at the dimensions of that series II cnc, especially the height. Also be sure to check the weight, the V2E3 I just got was 3000lbs and is a toy compared to a series II. I took the easy way out and had a rigger bring it home for me for $275.

As for the price, it all depends on the condition. Also, if they have the tooling to go with the machine. People do find these very cheap or even free but it takes time, networking and patience. For $1500 that is a lot if machine if its in nice shape. I paid nearly $1000 just for the ballscrew kit for my series I manual conversion and then nearly anothe $1000 for toolholders. Just another way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    I am just finishing up a retrofit on a bridgeport V2E3. This is my second retrofit, also for a home/garage shop.

First, I hope you are aware the series II bridgeport machine is a big hunk of iron! In a home shop, space is usually limited and the series I machines take up a lot less room. Go online and look at the dimensions of that series II cnc, especially the height. Also be sure to check the weight, the V2E3 I just got was 3000lbs and is a toy compared to a series II. I took the easy way out and had a rigger bring it home for me for $275.

As for the price, it all depends on the condition. Also, if they have the tooling to go with the machine. People do find these very cheap or even free but it takes time, networking and patience. For $1500 that is a lot if machine if its in nice shape. I paid nearly $1000 just for the ballscrew kit for my series I manual conversion and then nearly anothe $1000 for toolholders. Just another way to look at it.
    Thanks for the reply, A friend of mine has a Series II in his shop, and I am aware of how large it is. The same friend also has several large flatbed trucks that I can hire to haul it home along with a lift on my end. My door/ ceilings are 10' high so I have no issues with clearance. My 6" floor slab may not like it, but that can be dealt with if it becomes an issue.

There is no tooling with the machine. This is part of the reason I am reluctant too pay so much. I have the room for the machine, and like the mass/rigidity ot the SII fixed head, but I am still not 100% sure I need something so large.

I have another machine I am looking at, but I think I am still going to take the time to check it out.

The series II is a great machine,the extra travel you get for a little more floor space I think is well worth it.
    I have a series II that I gave $1600 for with a set of holders.
    These mills will take a decent cut without complaining much.
    I am happy with mine and it is just in my garage/shop.
    It had a few small issues that I got worked out(with the help of some great guys on PM)
    It was about 100 miles away and I hauled it home on a decent trailer no problems except the head had to be removed to get in in the door.
    Myself I think much more than $1000 dollars would be too much.
    The mills are out there just need to look.
    Heres a link to my small home shop.
    http://www.hitechhobbies.com/Machines.html
    Whatever you spend when its done I have found my machines paid for there selves quickly.
    Good luck in whatever you do.