586,108 active members*
3,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What does a small CNC EDM cost?

I'm looking at CNC EDM for die-sinking (plastic injection molds).

But I'm just start-up, with my CAD/CAM and a small CNC mill.

So can I get into EDM with something low-cost and compact that will do a good job on small work? Roughly what would it cost?

I don't know that I could launch a built-it-yourself project, I think I'd just have to identify a make and model, and look for a good price on it.

cnc edm isnt cheap,you might want to start with a conventional edm first,you can pick up
    a hansvedt bench model used for about $1,500-$2,500 depending on year and accessories
    i got mine at auction for $1,30o,look on ebay

A little while back I was talking to a distributor for Creator EDMs, imports, and if I remember right a 30 amp CNC with a C axis and I think a 5 position changer, was just a bit under $60,000
    For an import it looked like a decent machine but I have never seen one running.

Ok so with CNC capability, EDM is still pretty expensive. I wouldn't be able to do the work I have in mind without CNC. I might have drop the EDM idea and see about using a different method.

But good to know an example of a low-cost non-cnc entry point to EDM, with that reference to an old Hansvedt benchtop model (Hansvedt SM-150B Sinker 20A EDM ?).

Those Hansvedt's are cool. Gotta be a pretty straightforward machine to convert to CNC. Looks almost like converting an RF-45 mill.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

I recently got a Hansvedt Benchman off ebay for pretty cheap. I lucked out and was able to get it running with minimal (compared to all my other project equipment) effort. You must remember that cheap usually means there is something wrong with it and if you're not into rolling up your sleeves and learning all kinds of new stuff it may not be worth it. The major problem with mine was a burnt trace on the main board...a jumper wire and viola!!! sparks. The dielectric fluid and filters, manual etc cost me as much as the machine but I have a working unit for less than $2000...and it seems like a nicer one than a friend bought new for $24000 back in 1990. Oh yeah don't forget tooling, cha-ching but once again a little patience can prevail....3R stuff is really good but the cost of new stuff means you need to be making money with the machine. A mini block, chuck, several tool posts and a big box of graphite can easily set you back another $1000...once again with patience.
    My plan is to be able to do some work cheap because I got in cheap...(hint:banana

Throw us a frickin' bone: (piccy's?)

Cheers,

BW

Here's yur bone...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hansvedt1.jpg  

Dis dog likes his bone!!!!

Those little EDM's are just so darned cool. SWMBO would never approve such a toy, but a dog can dream, can't he?

Cheers,

BW

Only paid $945+$300 shipping+++

edm machines arent easy to convert to cnc,well the mechanics would be easy,but getting it hooked into the electronics is the problem,the cnc portion would have to be able to sense an arc and back up and restart itself,its not like a normal cnc machine
    the electrodes break alot easier than cutters,and arcs can cause serious pitting to the work piece,i often wanted to convert one myself but would know were to begin

Use the CNC vertical machining center to make your electrodes.
    Burn the shape with a conventional ram EDM.
    Thats the way everyone I know does it.