586,051 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Haas/Victor Taichung/Challenger MicroCut which one to buy

Haas/Victor Taichung/Challenger MicroCut which one to buy

Hi guys,
    I am currently looking into buying a 4-axis VMC here in New Zealand.
    I have been looking at companies with a good service history first and foremost and since we are on a budget we can not go for Okuma/Kitamura/Mori or the like. So I would like to pick your brains on the following machines:
    Victor Taichung VC 85
    Hass VF2
    Challenger MicroCut VMC-1300
    We are planning to cut Rifle parts on the machine, mostly 6061 T6, but we need to keep options open for other work of course.
    The Victor and the Haas have approx the same work envelope, the Microcut has 1300mm x and 800mm y travel and 700 Z travel, which is much bigger than what we would need to start with, but it is tempting since we would end up at the same price as the much smaller Victor or Haas.
    The Victor and Microcut have box ways the Haas linear rails. The Haas seems incredibly light by comparison and i am not sure i like the umbrella type tool changer.Did any of you make any experience with the two taiwanese brands or with the actual machines? I read a lot about Haas but the opinions seem to be very mixed to say the least.
    Oh Yes the Victor comes with Fanuc the Microcut with a Fagor control...at least the stock models i have access too.
    Any ideas, opinions suggestions are very welcome.
    Cheers
    Chris

just a bump

No opinions anyone?

I have not heard good things about the Microcut, I have run a 2001 HAAS VF1 for two year's and It was only down once for something minor. Maybe not the most ridgid machine but we do prototyping and mostly aluminum so it has been fine for what we do. I have done 304 and titanium with no problems as well.

Not a fan of the Fagor controls myself. Fanuc is a no brainer. Haas make very reliable machines, no problems with the umbrella tool changer, but they are a very light duty machine.

Too bad this went so long without a response
    Not a fan of the Fanuc..don't know the Fagor..Love the HAAS control.
    The umbrella is a pain when you are running a 4th and a long part. But the side mount tool changer is a option.
    Gary