586,094 active members*
3,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fagor Automation > Fagor Communicate with laptop or anything!

Fagor Communicate with laptop or anything!

I have a Motionmaster 4 axis router with a 8040 control. When I first got it in 03 one of my epole built a cable and linked it into an old laptop with a serial to USB adapter. It worked for several years, then when I got a new Toshiba he somehow switched it over to work on the Toshiba, again severall years of troublefree service.

Now the Toshiba died and is off for a few weeks, the original laptop is long gone, and we can't get either of two avauilable Lenovo laptops to communicate with the 8040 on the same cable usiong the same WinDNC software as always used. What might we be missing?

Also- is there any back door way to get a file into the controller- we pulled the 20mb card and it externally appears to be a PCMIA card and fits into a laptop slot but then it's contents can't be read or worked with. We have two jobs already piled up in front of the router and it could take hours to hand type the 100 line programs in.

The old 8040's unfortunately do not have a USB port, but the new 8055's do.... so you're stuck running RS 232 in this case. You shouldn't have any problems with DNC, but before diagnosing any further, go to www.fagorautomation.com to the Download Center..... you will find DNC software there, download it..... you want to run the latest and greatest version that now even works with the latest MS software.....

If it doesn't work after that, then we can talk..... its something simple, also make sure you go into the set-up section in DNC and set it up for a 8040 (M) control..... otherwise it will not work.

Todd

Todd- Thanks for your calm confident reply, I was afraid is was something unconquerable.

Yes I am using Fagors WinDNC 5.1, even tried 4.1 with no difference. The 8040 control isn't offered in the drop down list of controls, we've been concentrating on the 8050M but have tried most others. Greg

I recently started having trouble with my USB to serial adapter.
    I recommend one of these http://www.cdw.ca/shop/products/defa...px?EDC=1828705
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I have 8055 controllers in my 2 Royce 5-axis routers. They do not have USB but they do have RS232 (9 Pin). I had a similar issue when going from one laptop to another also. I think we were on a different baud rate. In the end i just copied all of my WinDNC files from my old machine and pasted them to my new laptop. Everything worked just fine.

As far as a RS232 to USB converter I know that Radio Shack sells them. But others i have talked to have had trouble getting them to work correctly.

I've got an 8025M and have been able to use several transfer programs, even Hyperterminal. I just had to make sure my program followed the format described in the Fagor manual.
    Some of my transfer programs had trouble working when I moved up to XP and Vista but started working after I set the compatibility option for the program in Windows Explorer.

I recently ran into this link for programming on an Omin-turn using Microsoft Excel:

http://www.omni-turn.com/Pages/Progr...ogramming.html

I have a Mac that runs Excel, and I was wondering if I get a RS232 to USB converter, can I use this setup to send and retrieve programs to my Fagor 8025TG?

Hi JP,
    It seems the link you posted is for creating a G-code file from dimensional data and not a program for communication through RS232. I have a MAC iBook G4 and using a USB/Serial port adaptor I have transferred files to/from Fagor with various terminal programs (Zterm, GLTerm,etc)
    Hope this helps

Hello BBorb,

I just aquired and got my Hardinge with the Fagor running, and I'm learning how to program the CNC. I'm totally new to this and I'm learning to enter code on the Fagor, and would like to be able to use my Mac keyboard instead of the soft keypad as I don't want to have the keys fail on it.

What would I be able to do with my Ibook G3 and a converter, and the Zterm, GLTerm, software?

Where could I get a dependable converter, and the software?