586,094 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Budget CADCAM Software

Heya folks,

I am looking for a complete CAD CAM solution on a shoestring budget!
    I want to pay for my software in order that I can get support should I need it so am not interested in trial versions. At the moment I am looking at;

1 Turbocad Pro with CAM plugin
    2 Mach 3, Meshcam, Cutviewer (bundle)
    3 Bobcad maybe..

I'm a newbie and could do with some sound, impartial advice.

I need the software to run a small Proxxon MF70 Micro mill(for practice at home), also a Thermwood C40 with turret head and 91000 controller (routing machine I persuaded my boss to buy), and hopefully an old matchmaker CNC milling machine with ancient Micron 850 Controller (if i can find post processor and means to operate it)

I've been using TurboCad now for over 10 years I believe. When I converted my table mill to CNC, I purchased the CAM add on and have been using it now for about 2 years. While I am just a hobbyiest, it does fine for a 2.5D package. The documentation is a little weak though on the CAM side. While I doubt it can compete with the commercial packages, I would purchase it again based on price and what you get at that price.

I've heard a few complaints about the package on this forum but when I have problems with the package, it's usually because I'm doing something wrong. For example, I will sometime group items and forget about it and then later try to run a chain offset milling operation. TurboCad complains that it can't do the operation which is can't. I'll finally realize the problem but it can be frustrating. Anyway, good luck.

Best Regards.

Carl

thanks for info carl, there is a bewildering array of software and combinations of packages, I was recommended turbocad by a collegue for it's ease of use and only stumbled on the fact they do a CAM package by mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by noyloj View Post
    Heya folks,

I am looking for a complete CAD CAM solution on a shoestring budget!
    .................................................. ..

2 Mach 3, Meshcam, Cutviewer (bundle)

If you go with MeshCAM, you'll also want a 2D package as well. Look at SheetCAM or Vectric's Cut 2D.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

thanks does anyone know anything about bobcad or powerstation? how do people rate these in comparison?:drowning:

I have been using BobCAD for about a year. I like it VERY much. It is full 3D capable, and has given me all the functionality, and more, that I need - as a point of disclosure, I ONLY use the CAM side, I use SolidWorks for CAD. I know that it has gotten a "bad rap" on the boards, I believe this we due to a very poor product in V22 of the software. I have been using V23. Also, they do really pester you a lot on the phone - don't give them your "real" phone number. Also, they are VERY willing to negotiate. I got a package of Mill Pro, BobArt, and Preditor for $600. They didn't have the High Speed Pocketing at the time, I would make sure to add that in.

Finally, it is a little "different" from other packages. I know Microstation, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and a few other packages - BobCAD "thinks" different. It has a learning curve, but once you are over that it is a very capable software package.

go with Bobcad it's affortable and quite ultility.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Thanks for the advice guys.. does anyone have a bad word to say about any of the software? It might help me to narrow down the choices! So far I am no closer to 'The Truth' about CAD CAM software than I was at the begining! I need to start ruling things out!

Cheers Jo

Thanks for the advice guys.. does anyone have a bad word to say about any of the software? It might help me to narrow down the choices!
    You might want to spend some time reading through the BobCAD forum here.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the advice guys.. does anyone have a bad word to say about any of the software? It might help me to narrow down the choices! So far I am no closer to 'The Truth' about CAD CAM software than I was at the begining! I need to start ruling things out!

Cheers Jo
    Depending what you want to do, if you are try to do something fancy that involve 3+2axis or 5axis then bobcad is not a package for you. Basicly you are pay for what you get, Bobcam_cad is a design for normal small job shop very productive and time save for 2D production job, eventhough it does support 3D sculpture. You have to see what you are want to do with it.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Question

No fancy stuff just 3D milling and routing on a variety of machines..
    So from what I've gleaned by trawling the web and the forum answers I can get maybe Turbo Cad 16 pro for drawing side, Bobcad V23 for mill side, and Mach3 for controller?
    Does this make sense to anyone?
    Thanks Jo

Just throwing my 2 cents in here.
    I tried the Bobcad demo and didn't like it.
    I also have Turbocad version 12 I think and didn't care for it.
    Like many of the Autocad clones it forces you to think their way and I much prefer to just draw.

My current line up is Viacad for the cad side. I just picked up a second copy of the 3d for $69 dollars on sale for a present for my son.

For the cam side I have been through a bunch of trials but since I already own it and am familiar with it I have been staying with Deskcnc.

When the money becomes available I will most likely migrate to Onecnc xr3 or whatever the current version is when I purchase it.

And although I have Deskcnc for my cam software and I use the controller part for my router, I use Mach3 for My mill and will be using it for my lathe.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.