586,655 active members*
2,348 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Invar 36

Invar 36

Hi all, I'm quoting a part out of Invar 36, (36% Nickel, the rest iron) and am wondering what this material is like to run on a swiss. the part isn't too complicated, just some turning and a blind hole tap. (M2 size...)

I've done a little research, and from what I've read it machines pretty close to 304 stainless, is this true? It seems like with all that nickel it's be a huge PITA..though if I can get 321 to machine nice, i feel like i can do anything, haha!!

any thoughts and insight would be much appreciated.
    thanks!

http://www.cutting-tool.americanmach...bdeee13_1.aspx

36 Invar is apparently free machining version of Invar

I machined this and Kovar some years ago making parts for some of the large network builders. I found it OK to turn with (HP coolant helps - we ran about 3000 rpm about .02mm/rev feedrate on 8mm bar down to 4mm turned diameter) but not great to drill with as material tends to "stick" to drill points. We ended up feeding in and out as opposed to conventional rapiding to counteract this. M2 size of tap likely to be too small for more secure thread milling process so possibly use roll tap .

Good luck

I cna't run one customer's Invar on my machine, because their customer wants certification that only water based solutions were used to machine it, and that it never got to (some temperature) during its processing. My machine is only built for straight oil. Any body else come against the same type of restrictions?