586,070 active members*
3,440 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Hello... moving a VMC15

Hello... moving a VMC15

Hi, I'm new here and new to CNC. I just bought a Fadal VMC15 and will be having it delivered by an industrial rigger who apparently isn't familiar with my machine. I want to be sure he does what he's supposed to. Any tips?

The manual says I need to secure the counter weights. What's the best way to do this? I can't find any details in the manual.

I've also read the VMC15 isn't intended to be lifted from overhead. Why do I see the lift point holes as indicated in the manual? The seller said he'll provide a 4X4 and run the spindle down against it. Is that correct? Doors and control will be secured.

Anything else I should be concerned with? I thought it was advisable to remove the table. Any thoughts?

Also, the VMC is going in my two car garage. I understand that the z-axis servo can be disconnected to clear the 82" door header. I'm going to disconnect it a couple hours before the rigger arrives and then reconnect it before the move. I want to be sure I can do it quickly and easily when the rigger drops it off at my home. What's involved in disconnecting it and how long should it take? The machine is 200 miles away or I'd go look at it more closely.

I only began machining as a means to prototype my own creations two years ago, so I won't be offended if anyone overstates the obvious or assumes I know nothing. :-) They wouldn't be far from wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sherri

The counterweight is easy to secure and every machine I've ever seen has the bars to retain it in some cabinet or other. They are just a piece of 1.25 or so steel, one longer than the other with a flange on welded on one end with a few bolt holes. Looking at the back of the machine, on the right side of the head maybe 4 feet up from the ground you will see two holes on the right hand side of the Z axis casting, with a 3 hole bolt pattern around them. Run the Z so you can see through the counterweight (get a flashlight) and stick the rods in, one of the 3 bolts is more than enough to secure them(5/16-18). Run the head up a bit (it now will not go down) and bring it down onto a 4x4.

I had one machine shipped without the counter weight bars in, about 1500 miles and it was fine. You could just use a piece of 1" steel or ali and it would probably stay from the weight.

Taking off the motor, 4 5/16 allen head screws, and you can pull the motor off and lay it down, mark the location of the coupling to the ballscrew to make your life easier later. The cable "tracks", I don't know what they are called, will probably have to come off also, a few more allen head screws (all american sizes).