586,096 active members*
3,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Material cutting questions.

ok, to make this as short as possible. I have access to a 4 x 8 cnc router at my work that I want to use to cut a few pieces for my home build. I do not know that brand but it is pretty beefy. I have 2 pieces of .5" thick x 6" x 51" 2024-T3 aluminum that I want to use as part of the framing for my machine. I need several holes cut and a few large areas of it removed not to mention having the whole piece trimmed down a bit. What are some of the tips for cutting this type of material cleanly with a nice finish that I can pass along to the guy running the machine that will cut my pieces. I am providing the cad file that he will use to convert to whatever he needs to cut the part.

Quote Originally Posted by SatanKlawz View Post
    ok, to make this as short as possible. I have access to a 4 x 8 cnc router at my work that I want to use to cut a few pieces for my home build. I do not know that brand but it is pretty beefy. I have 2 pieces of .5" thick x 6" x 51" 2024-T3 aluminum that I want to use as part of the framing for my machine. I need several holes cut and a few large areas of it removed not to mention having the whole piece trimmed down a bit. What are some of the tips for cutting this type of material cleanly with a nice finish that I can pass along to the guy running the machine that will cut my pieces. I am providing the cad file that he will use to convert to whatever he needs to cut the part.
    I would speak to the machine operator before speaking with anyone else. That's his baby, if anyone knows what will work great on it it'll be him.

I am but the machine is usually used to cut much thinner material. Aluminum but thinner.

Cut it with some sort of coolant, don't necessarily flood it, but enough to stop the cutter from loading, and to have sides looking good, climb cut last 0.015" making sure the cutter don't chatter.
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!