586,113 active members*
3,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > which cutter to use??/

which cutter to use??/

Im doing surface contour finish, Wall of pocket is .900 tall and is on 4degrees angle .I used 1/8 ball nose two flute from wolffram sinit coted I try to make cut 0.010 in X and .005 in Z.I was cuting with 5500 rpm and 10 in/min tool only rubbing maybe I took .002 if that.Maybe because tool sticking out .950.Any body have any sigestions please.Material is H13 harden 50-52 Rc.

cormer radius of the pocket ?
    fillet radius on the floor ?

Machine is 5-axis or what ?

Corner radius of the shape should dictate maximum tool dia and floor radius is maximun corner radius of the tool. Yuor tool radius should be smaller than the corner rads and have the same corner rads as the base line fillets to have the best shape. 4 flute is 2X faster, and thickerr than a 2 flute

If you have 1/2" rad in the corners and 1/8" on the floor the 1/8" ball is not the best tool to use, go 3/8" tool dia, 4 flute with 1/8" corner rads,if you have a 5-axis, you can swarf the walls in 3 depth passes to really cut the machining time back

THANK YOU SUPERMAN
    I HAVE ROOM ONLY FOR 1/8 CUTTER BECAUSE OTHER OBJECTS IN POCKET I HAVE TO GO AROUND THEM.SO I LIKE TO KNOW IS THERE OTHER BRAND OR SPECIAL COATING TO USE .tHIS CUTTER I HAVE ONLY RUBBING AGANIST A WALL i HAVE TO TAKE ONLU 0.030 IN DIA. MACHINE HAVE ONLY THREE-AXIS.

HK040-0425

its 2nd tool down, but nose rad is 2mm, taper is 4° gives a more stronger shank

Many good tooling Co's should have this type of cutter to suit the material being cut and tip radius of 1/16" ( or 1.5mm )

You can give Harvey tool's a call, they make tappered ballnose emills for molds, work's very well.

Gorby,
    When you use capital letters it implies you are yelling.If you want people to help then dont yell at them.If you are yelling at someone please apologize.we all are trying to help each other here.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrewman View Post
    Gorby,
    When you use capital letters it implies you are yelling.If you want people to help then dont yell at them.If you are yelling at someone please apologize.we all are trying to help each other here.
    He may have been writing or editing G-Code when he posted. I have done this many times.

LOL, yelling in Caps, that's funny
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

When I code by hand, or edit, I engage caps-lock.

I guess that means I'm yelling at my control.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    When I code by hand, or edit, I engage caps-lock.

I guess that means I'm yelling at my control.
    Considering that the Control has no ears, YES, Yell as Loud as Possible because it may not get all the info your entering.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com