586,108 active members*
3,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Excello CNC Mill with Kwik Switch Spindle ATC Options

Excello CNC Mill with Kwik Switch Spindle ATC Options

Looking for any options for an ATC for the Kwik Switch tool holders.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing

Thanks

Highly unlikely due to the way the nut has to be opened and closed along with the drive notches lined up.

I had a kwik switch 200 mill until just the last couple weeks when I got a new mill that has NMTB 30 quick change. I have been wondering about ATC for this spindle but doubt it for the same reasons as the kwik switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Highly unlikely due to the way the nut has to be opened and closed along with the drive notches lined up.

I had a kwik switch 200 mill until just the last couple weeks when I got a new mill that has NMTB 30 quick change. I have been wondering about ATC for this spindle but doubt it for the same reasons as the kwik switch.

NMTB was *designed* for ATC. You do need to have some means of indexing the spindle to get the dogs lined up, but that's not really a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    NMTB was *designed* for ATC. You do need to have some means of indexing the spindle to get the dogs lined up, but that's not really a big deal.
    Probably have to get rid of the erickson quick change nut on the bottom and use a power drawbar setup. Getting the dogs lined up might be tough with a regular ac motor, most of the toolchanger machines I seen had servo motor spindles that could accomplish that line-up easily.

With that said, i believe i can make a device to change the tool if i have the spindle indexed, so what would the best way of indexing the spindle be?

Quote Originally Posted by bochek View Post
    With that said, i believe i can make a device to change the tool if i have the spindle indexed, so what would the best way of indexing the spindle be?
    I am thinking a servo motor drive with encoder. That is how the commercial machines have their spindle drive.

I am thinking a servo motor drive with encoder. That is how the commercial machines have their spindle drive.
    Have you ever priced out a 2hp servo? i could convert 3 of these machiens for the price of one spindle servo.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Yup - The Shizuoka mills had a single arm NMTB tool changer back in the late 70's to early 80's.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8opxZLSAvN8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Shizuoka ST-N Toolchanger[/ame]

Shame you are not in the UK, I know a guy that has a toolchanger that is exactly the same as on that Shizuoka in the video and he is selling it. I was going to buy it for my Beaver NC5 mill but it would have needed too much in the way of alterations due to the unusually long pullstuds that the Beaver uses.
    The machine its on at the moment is a Machmaker and it just uses a power drawbar with normal screw threaded drawbar. The Dogs are removed on the spindle so no orientation is required. I was a bit sceptical that the removal of the dogs was a good idea but the machine is at least 25yrs old and a look in the spindle taper shows nothing has ever spun and the machine has had a hard life.

Hood

Edit, you will see pics of it in this thread, about halfway down the page.
    http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...,10331.40.html

Quote Originally Posted by bochek View Post
    Have you ever priced out a 2hp servo? i could convert 3 of these machiens for the price of one spindle servo.
    Didn't say it would be cheap. I can't imagine a way to get precise enough control of a normal ac motor powered spindle to get it to stop every time in the exact position required. A encoder on the spindle is easy, getting it to stop in the exact spot another story.

I have a kiwk switch spindle, so am familiar with it. Auto tool changing with that sping loaded nut would be a real feat. Other tapers would be much simpler with just a power drawbar. On my bridgeport, I have the option of simply removing the erickson quick change nut, I can then use standard nmtb30 holders and a drawbar, so it would make that part easier.

Should be a fairly easy thing to do with an induction motor and a VFD.
    Have an air operated shot pin that locates in a hole/slot in a disc that is on the spindle. The control would tell the VFD to rotate at a slow speed and the shot pin released, as it came round to the hole/slot it would allow the pin to drop in and a limit switch on the pin would let the control know its in place and to stop the VFD. Once toolchange is complete the control would release the pin and the same limit would tell the control the pin was out and it was safe to proceed.

Hood

On my bridgeport, I have the option of simply removing the erickson quick change nut, I can then use standard nmtb30 holders and a drawbar, so it would make that part easier.
    Have you looked through the spindle on your Bridgeport? Mine doesnt have a hole through the spindle so no chance of putting a drawbar through. This may be peculiar to the UK built series 1 CNC Bridgeports though.

Hood

Same here, no hole through the spindle. so thats outta the question.

I was thinking of hooking the brake to the index channel of the encoder. but thats still not going to be very accurate