586,679 active members*
2,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy homemade rotophase ISSUES!

I'm trying to get a rotary phase converter built for my shop, and have had nothing but issues for the last four days.

I'm theoretically trying to make a capacitor start machine, but also failed at trying to make it pony start, also.

I dont' know if I have the motor wired wrong, or what it is, the farthest i've got it to go is make it whine, and turn very slow, until my breakers pop.

It's a 30hp magnatek pacemaker, from surplus center, I have 19 135MFD mallory caps, wired in paralell, before the switch, and also tried to spin the thing up with the 5 horse emmerson motor from my air compressor, which just managed to toast my belt, while working the same as it did with just the caps, spinning at probably 50 rpm. Is there something special that you have to do to get these guys to run? I have it wired, 1&7, 2&8, 3&9, and then 456 tied together. my 1 and 2 circuits are hooked to 220, the 3 circuit is tied to the cap switch.

Does it have to be hooked to the three phase load to run? I'm just trying to start it without a load, as that I dont' want to fugger up my cnc, while trying to figure this out.

Thansk for any/all insight, i'd love to get it working any way I can... I bought this machine without seeing it run, two weeks ago, and if i don't see it light up soon, i'm probably gonna have to find a bridge...

-Parker Bender

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum...

Hey, noticed that there is an actual rotophase forum, so i posted this there, mods you can either lock this thread, or merge it with the other one, though they're identical at the moment...

Thanks for everything!

-PArker

Also, if you know anything abour RPC's, PLEASE throw in your $.02!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97734

thanks!