586,096 active members*
3,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: IGS

IGS

Hello to ALL!

I want your help. How can I convert an IGS file to a GCODE?
    thank you for your HELP!

You need CAM software.

Once you import the IGES file into CAM, you can generate toolpaths and then post-process the toolpaths into G Code for your machine.

An IGES file contains 3D data. G Code contains instructions that tell your machine how to move. To my knowledge, there is no software that will automatically convert an IGES file into G Code.

If you don't have CAM software, you can hire a company that does programming for others (i.e. generate G Code for you).

What are you trying to cut?

Quote Originally Posted by ckirchen View Post
    You need CAM software.

Once you import the IGES file into CAM, you can generate toolpaths and then post-process the toolpaths into G Code for your machine.

An IGES file contains 3D data. G Code contains instructions that tell your machine how to move. To my knowledge, there is no software that will automatically convert an IGES file into G Code.

If you don't have CAM software, you can hire a company that does programming for others (i.e. generate G Code for you).

What are you trying to cut?
    Hello again I am new to cnc and I try to do some easy works for start with other peoples IGES files.
    Can you please recomend me some CAM software than can do these toolpaths and g code for me?
    What do you use?
    Thank you again!!

I use PTC's ProNC, but that's probably a lot more than you're going to need. It comes bundled with ProENGINEER WildFire (CAD software) and cost me about $25,000 (with a few years of maintenance). I have it because I need it for the type of parts that I make.

If you are doing simple parts, and can get by with 2.5D paths, a low cost program like SheetCAM (http://www.sheetcam.com/) would work well. I used SheetCAM for a year before I could afford ProNC and it did the job.