586,113 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Lost tool orientation for an old SMG with Fanuc O-M control

Lost tool orientation for an old SMG with Fanuc O-M control

It thinks tool 3 is tool 1. I've been playing with it for a while with no luck. Any help please?

may be there is tool 1 in tool post 3 after machining?
    if no, what type of positions sensor?
    what tool being selecting when you try to select tool 4 or 5?

The changer is off by two positions. If you ask for tool 4 it gets tool 6. I'm guessing there is an M code to reorientate the tool changer and i just dont know what it is.

quOTE=guhl;704713]may be there is tool 1 in tool post 3 after machining?
    if no, what type of positions sensor?
    what tool being selecting when you try to select tool 4 or 5?[/QUOTE]

likely there is problem caused with output circuit of PMC
    it gives out always logical 1 in bit 1 (second from the right)
    for instanse, you try to select 4 (100) but because of the problem 6 (110) appears in the ouput byte
    check the output comparing the byte image on diagnostic screen and real state of bit in this byte by means of multimeter
    see the PDF to find the output on diagnostic screen
    if output Y1000 and higher then add 2000
    example: you need to find Y1001.3, it means - bit 3001.3 on diagnostic
    or if there is G102.3 (for example), it means bit 3 (forth from the right) in byte 102
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sometimes there is PMC parameters that track the magazine and/or tool in the spindle. If a tool change is stopped midcycle it can cause these numbers to be out of sync. Look at your PMC parameters or your MTB manual if you have one to see if there is a parameter to track this. Most times you just have to set it to the current tool.

Yes some MTB do design a specfic M-code to rest this but not always. Once again you will have to look in the MTB manual for this.

Stevo

Guhl........thanks for your help but you are way over my head.

Stevo i have a manual but i cant find anything for my problem.

What I have done to find this with no data is to go to your PMC parameters and see if any of them corresponds to the tool that you call up. If you find one then do a tool change to a different tool and see if that number corresponds. If so then you have found it.

Stevo

I have a 11M control that has some similar problems (only sometimes) with the 20+ tool changer. It will sometimes try to load two tools into the tool changer when there is still a tool in the spindle, but then when it tries to change tools there is 3 tools in the loop. It will pick one tool out of the carousel, swing the arm around and load another on the other end of the arm then try to put one of the tools into the spindle, not the usual process where it rotates the arm to the tool and also its aligned to the spindle and unclamp the tool in spindle then swings around the new tool to the spindle and at the same time dropping the old tool into the toolchanger station. It basically tries to load a tool into the spindle where there is already a tool, but there are also two tools on the arm. Also it sometimes unclamps the tool from the spindle mid-toolchange therefor dropping/ejecting the tool. I have to watch it carefully so that it doesnt toss tools this way. Otherwise it usually aligns to both the carousel and the spindle very well.

I thought it was how I programmed the T codes. It seems to be more with the tool changer than the other hardware.. but I don't know.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by DSUDS View Post
    The changer is off by two positions. If you ask for tool 4 it gets tool 6. I'm guessing there is an M code to reorientate the tool changer and i just dont know what it is.
    Try one thing please - when you select tool 2 what happens, do you get tool 4? or do you get 2? This is important, it will test what Guhl is suggesting.

If you get tool 2 when you request tool 2, then test for tool 6, if you also get tool 6 too then it is an electronic circuit problem as he suggests.

But if you always get (Tool +2) then it is a mechanical offset and the machine tool maintenance/service manual should have a procedure for zeroing the carousel. I can't help there because we don't have a manual for ours.

i read all the posts and seems to be corect

u all forgot one thing.
    when is happening that u select tol 6 and come tool 8 or is everytime +2 for me firt step is too see the parameters.
    i know for sure is parameter for heavy tools or big tools so with a prameter change u select 2 by 2 tools so the number of tools will be divided by 2.

another posibility is very simple
    u have also parameters for data from tool 0 to tool 20 or more ,i think is from parameter 600 or so where u can set again the numbers of the tools corespond to pockets.

try also to see if is not activated M80 or M100 depending on fucnction of u machine.

if u want more conatct me via msn

GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by zavateandu View Post
    i read all the posts and seems to be corect
    when is happening that u select tol 6 and come tool 8 or is everytime +2 for me firt step is too see the parameters.
    i know for sure is parameter for heavy tools or big tools so with a prameter change u select 2 by 2 tools so the number of tools will be divided by 2.
    Yes, but this is not the problem he is decribing - tool pos+2. We have to determine if there is a problem in a tool register bit #1 being on all the time.

Thanks for the tip on heavy tools, we didn't find any reference for this anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by zavateandu View Post
    another posibility is very simple
    u have also parameters for data from tool 0 to tool 20 or more ,i think is from parameter 600 or so where u can set again the numbers of the tools corespond to pockets.

try also to see if is not activated M80 or M100 depending on fucnction of u machine.
    Thanks for these tips too. Can you tell us what are typical values in params 600-?? Our tool carousel is not working at all. Thanks.

I still lean towards the diagnostic parameters. I believe that one of these will track the current magazine position. This can usually get screwed up if your tool changer got hung up during a tool change. If you look through them can you see any parameter that is relative to the tool pocket that it thinks it has? If so do a tool change to a different tool and see if it changes to that position. If so then you have to set it accordingly.

Another thing that I have done myself is to set up a tool change macro were a variable tracks the current tool in the spindle and grabs the geometry according to the variable. IOW it may have tool 1 but registers the H3 instead. This is just a simple change of the variable.

I have never seen parameters that need to be set for ALL 20 positions. I believe this will be MTB preference not Oseries fanuc. In most cases all I see at most is one that tracks the tool in the spindle, 1 for tool at wait if you have a wait position and 1 for the magazine position.

DUDS...as you stated there could be a M code to fix this problem. I have an M code on my Monarch that does this if it gets out of wack. It was something like M11T() to set the current position of the spindle tool and magazine position. This will be MTB specific and you will have to have their manual. Even though I have an M code there are diagnostic parameters that can be changed that track these positions that I can change to fix it as well.

Stevo

send me the diagnose and i will change paramteter for you and tha u will try again

i will look for pockets parameters and tools parameters.

send me at [email protected]