586,121 active members*
3,289 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 45 question

I'm finally ready to buy a plasma cutter. I want to be able to use it to cut by hand and use it with a CNC plasma table i have yet to build. I've have settled on the hypertherm powermax 45 but have now have a question. I called a local dealer who has very competitive prices and he said that to run the machine torch with this machine is not as simple as just swapping out the hand torch. He alluded to a machine interface that was also needed in order to use the machine torch with a CNC control. He quoted me a price of $1500 for the Powermax 45 with a 25ft hand torch, but almost $2500 with the machine torch and no hand torch! does this sound right? I had planned on buying the plasma with the hand torch and then getting the machine torch when I finished building the table. Now I'm wondering why the machine torch set up nearly doubles the price. Is this correct? Please clarify what I need to use a hand torch machine with a CNC table.

thanks

I will get back to you shortly with the list price differences (having a computer glitch that does not allow me access for the moment!). The mechanized version of the Powermax45 is slightly more expensive....although the numbers you posted do not seem right.

You can use a hand torch on a cnc machine...many do, in fact the cut quality and speed and thickness capabilities are identical....and the torches use the same consumables. One of the difficulties is with the interface connection on the rear panel of the 45....when the hand torch is plugged into its connector....the start signal that is available on the rear panel of the Powermax45 is disabled for safety reasons (you wouldn't want the hand torch to fire from a remote switch input inadvertantly)......when the machine torch is plugged in the remote start connection is usable....in fact there also is a 50:1 divided arc voltage output available (for arc voltage height control use) as well as an arc transfer output signal.

I personally have a PlasmaCam machine...which is designed for hand torch use...however I made a machine torch holder (picture attached)....with the machine torch you can easily square the torch to the plate...which is key to getting the best most consistent edge angularity on your cuts.

I'll get back to you shortly with list pricing for the hand held and machine torch versions.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by microdot View Post
    I'm finally ready to buy a plasma cutter. I want to be able to use it to cut by hand and use it with a CNC plasma table i have yet to build. I've have settled on the hypertherm powermax 45 but have now have a question. I called a local dealer who has very competitive prices and he said that to run the machine torch with this machine is not as simple as just swapping out the hand torch. He alluded to a machine interface that was also needed in order to use the machine torch with a CNC control. He quoted me a price of $1500 for the Powermax 45 with a 25ft hand torch, but almost $2500 with the machine torch and no hand torch! does this sound right? I had planned on buying the plasma with the hand torch and then getting the machine torch when I finished building the table. Now I'm wondering why the machine torch set up nearly doubles the price. Is this correct? Please clarify what I need to use a hand torch machine with a CNC table.

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PlasmaCambuild 016.jpg   PlasmaCambuild 017.jpg  

Hypertherm Powermax45 list prices

The list price for a Powermax45 with a 20' hand torch assembly (there is no 25' hand torch) (part no. 088016) is $2019.00

The list price for a Powermax45 with a 25' machine torch assembly is (part no. 088022) is $2499.00

So, if you have a dealer that will sell you the Powermax45 at $1500....that sounds like a hell of a deal! I personally would buy that....and then I would buy the machine torch assembly separately....it just plugs on.....takes just seconds to swap torches. (see attached pics)

I have both torches with mine.....I leave the machine torch on the PlasmaCam machine....and I plug the hand torch in when I want to do some hand cutting...or to cut up the scrap skeleton of material left on my cutting table.

The machine torch makes the system about $480 more expensive (at suggested list prices from Hypertherm).....it is a more costly assembly to manufacture.... and is manufactured in much lower volume levels as compared to the hand torch.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powermax45 002.jpg   Powermax45 003.jpg  

Thanks for clearing this up Jim. Much appreciated. :cheers: