586,103 active members*
3,804 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Q on CNC Fusion Deluxe Y ballscrew for X3

Q on CNC Fusion Deluxe Y ballscrew for X3

Has anyone noticed that the Y axis is harder to turn by hand once everything is tightened up?

When I tightened the Y stepper mount to the saddle, it suddenly was very hard to turn the ballscrew. I noticed the mounting holes were off (or the holes on the mill were) so I slotted the holes in the stepper mount and it loosened up a bit, but I get this grinding sound.

I may need to slot the holes more or maybe increase the relief for the SHCS, when tightened the SHCS were tweaking the stepper mount which led me to do the slotting.

What worked for me.

Loosen the 2 bolts holding the ball screw adapter to the base, loosen the Y adapter that attaches to the table. move the Y Axis as far in as you can so the ballnut is as close as you can get to the nema 23 adapter. While everything is in this position you should be be able to tighten down the bolts holding the adapter to the table then tighten the bolts underneath the base. Run the screw now it should be firm but not bind. A little grinding noise is normal until the screw is greased / oiled and it breaks in a bit.

While you are there make sure you tighten the locknut located at the bearings. Most of the time from the factory this has not been adjusted, it is just put on to keep the assembly together.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I came across your build thread in my searches. I'll do what you said tomorrow or this weekend.

I never checked the nuts on the end of the ballscrews, guess I should do that too.

The Y seems to move a little better now, still some grinding or sliding? sounds though. Will wait and see.

NOW...moved on to the Z...another post.