586,060 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OKUMA LC40 INDEXING PROBLEM
Page 1 of 2 12

Angry OKUMA LC40 INDEXING PROBLEM

We have a LC40 on the shop floor that has been having issues indexing. We rebuild the turret in house and now it indexes ok in the M86 direction but if we try to index it in a M87 direction it falls about an inch short. I was looking for the turret speed but was unable to find anything on it. One of the machinists thought a tech guy told him it should take 12 seconds for one complete revolution. I checked that the resolver did not have backlash anywhere in the assembly and can not find any thing wrong. Can anyone help?

I'm not sure about LC40 and You didn't said what turret (radial or VDI or other) but maybe my advice will help.
    Turret offsets must be adjusted after mechanical intervention. There is special automated procedure for that. Control is seeking proper clamping place for each tool clamp position of turret automatically.
    Maybe this is missing at Your case.

What control is on this machine? Is it two or four axis?

Please give us more info.

Rodman

Cool

The machine has a OPS5000L control and it has two axis.The turret is controlled by a rotary switch. From what I could find out this is how it works...When the rotary bit is made the spool is fired(shot pin) as the spool fires against the OD of the cam(gear) it shifts the turret in to a decreased speed mode. The turret then turns at a slower rate until the spool locks into the cam. The turret unlock solenoid shuts off allowing the front of the turret piston to be pressurized puliing the turret back into a clamped position.

We did take the turret off and eliminate some backlash from between it and the main shaft. The turret seems to be working in both directions however it takes about 1/2 minute to clamp. when the spool shifts throwing it into the slow down mode you can barely see the turret turning. I guess there is an orfice clogged somewhere. I can not find it. I have the manifold block and the cylinder off. No luck yet though. Any help as reguards to the location of my clog would be greatly appreciated.

You are tickling some brain cells that have not been awake in a while...

If I remember right, there are two adjustment screws located on the top of the turret that allow you to adjust the indexing speed and the slow down speed. They are both Hydraulic on that vintage machine and therefore required adjustment depending on oil viscosity, and weight on the turret. Look in your Maintenance manual for the procedure - I think it's in there.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    You are tickling some brain cells that have not been awake in a while...

If I remember right, there are two adjustment screws located on the top of the turret that allow you to adjust the indexing speed and the slow down speed. They are both Hydraulic on that vintage machine and therefore required adjustment depending on oil viscosity, and weight on the turret. Look in your Maintenance manual for the procedure - I think it's in there.

Best regards,
    I agree, although the LC's might have the adjustment under the solenoid. There is no "automatic" centering function on the old LC series, just hydraulics and a coupling. If you re-built the turret and replaced the clamping o-rings, you will for sure need to ajust speed and slow down manually.

Question

The two needle valves on the top of the turret control the speed that the turret turns and the other is an adjustment for the clamping speed (in and out). I understand that some of the machines had two adjustments on the manifold. One was for the slowdown speed and I don't know what the other one was for. Other machines had an orfice internal to the manifold that controlled the slowdown speed. Our manifold only has one screw it looks like some sort of check valve.? There is a bolt, spring and ball in the hole(the exploded drawing shows there should be a jam screw but as it is there is no room for one). The bolt looks like a home made piece. I don't know what is controls. I tried adjusting it and it doesn't seem to change anything. I called Okuma direct and spoke with a tech, he told me somewhere there is an orfice that may be clogged. I can not find anything. Still baffled???

It's been a LOOOOOOOOng time since i worked on a LC30 or 40 so bear with me. You said you have a resolver type turret. Seems to me (and it's real fuzzy in my head now) there was some timing dip switches on one of the control boards to adjust if you messed with the resolver. Had something to do with setting it back up to some zero point. It's been at least 15 years since i touched one, so I may be off. It may have been just a small adjustment pot, just can't remember. Also, check your hyd pressure out of the pump. I do remember the LNC8 turrets had the hydraulic adjustment, and one was direction speed and the other was unclamp/calmp/and slowdown speed. Not sure that helps you much though.

If your turret index speed is adjusted to be the same both forward and reverse then I suspect that you have a timing issue with the resolver or reed switch that tells the turret it is OK to lock. This switch can be adjusted.

This machine came in a few variations. Ours has a rotary switch that has 12 on positions, 1-12. When the switch is made the solenoid fires to advance the spool as the spool advances it should shift the fluid through an orfice or a needle valve (I can not find either!) to slow the turret rotation until the spool falls all the way into the cam, as it falls in it once again shifts the fluid to clamp the turret in position. All makes sense and seems pretty simple. The only problem is the thing never goes into the slow down speed. I know that during the years they were producing this model there were several different versions. They made at least two different spools. If we have the wrong spool is this the result? Okuma is not much help.

I don't rememer any 'fast then slow' as it approaches proper index position. There was just one speed in each direction, controled by separate needle valve for each direction. It wasn't fast, approximately 5-6 seconds for a full revolution. The gears that drive the rotary switch have timing marks. The axle on the back side of the switch and the back cover also have a dimple that is supposed to line up in #1 tool position. They always made more noise locking when going CCW.

Thank you

I would like to thank everybody for the input. I finally figured it out by modeling all the components and color coding the ports. As I moved the spool in the cylinder it became apparent that Okuma sent us the wrong spool. As soon as the spool shifted it deadheaded the tank side of the hydraulic motor causing the turret to stop turning. I modified the old spool by necking down a section of it and it works just like they said it should. Now I am trying to get information out of Okuma. That's funny!

quiz has anyone had a lc40 run away?

Just purchased one, from a customer that they said was a safty hazard. The lc40 had a habit of running the bars through the head end sheet metal. I think it's op err, just asking.

I love lg81 wasinos

I need a spindle drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lg81 Wasino View Post
    Just purchased one, from a customer that they said was a safty hazard. The lc40 had a habit of running the bars through the head end sheet metal. I think it's op err, just asking.
    Wel, your not giving us much to go on here. OSP 2000, 2200,3000,5000? Run away? 4 axis?

It's basically impossible for an Okuma with an absolute encoder to "run away". They use a closed loop system which looks at the commanded position and the actual position and if the DIFF becomes too great, they stop themselves. 99
    % of the time, your operator has made an error.

However that being said, all of the newer machines that have MacMan on them actually record keystrokes which may help you troubleshoot what the operator did. Press MacMan>Trouble Info>Command history

Browse the last 15 or so pages of keystrokes...

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    It's basically impossible for an Okuma with an absolute encoder to "run away". They use a closed loop system which looks at the commanded position and the actual position and if the DIFF becomes too great, they stop themselves. 99
    % of the time, your operator has made an error.

However that being said, all of the newer machines that have MacMan on them actually record keystrokes which may help you troubleshoot what the operator did. Press MacMan>Trouble Info>Command history

Browse the last 15 or so pages of keystrokes...

Best regards,
    LC40, gonna be older. OSP2000 would run away. Even some 2200's. They still had tach feedback.

LC 40 runnaway?

The machine is supposed to be osp3000 but has a CRT? I was told on my LC20 that carbon buildup in the motor or tach/resover could make for a realy bad day? The 40 is an sc my 20 is a 2st. I have not got the 40 under power as of yet.

Oh runnaway

runnaway is driving the boring bars through the headstock sheatmetal.

Yes, bad tach feedback will cause a punch press effect with the boring bars. You not only need to clean the carbon out of the motors, you need to polish the armatures of the tach. I have seen 2 other 3000 controls with a tiny CRT. Think they called that a 3000G control.

Page 1 of 2 12