586,094 active members*
3,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Having trouble with steppers on Boss 6

I am having trouble with stepper motors on a boss 6 series one Bridgeport. None of the axis will run as they are supposed to. Each seems to try to run I have removed one motor and took cover off of the y axis so I could see why the motors seem to run but don't. The motors will turn a small about in both dirictions but will not run as they should. If anyone knows of a posiable cause for this, please share it with me. Thanks

These setters like everything perfect. Voltage and current.
    If you have the maintenance manual these is a trouble shooting section where test points are shown and values given.
    Typically there is issue with one axis, not 3. Thus I would be checking power at T2 the large transformer in the back cabinet up top. Check (from left) the first and 4th wire. What is the voltage? Then the 2nd and 5th, etc.
    The most common issue with a drive is the final drive transistors. You should have a stack of them. 2N6547. Current should be set to 8 amps at the DC fuses. Note that never hook up or disconnect a meter or pull a fuse with the drives ON. Current is set by the ACC board.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)