586,308 active members*
3,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Interact Series 1 Mk2 4th axis ? Pinout or schematic?

Interact Series 1 Mk2 4th axis ? Pinout or schematic?

Hi everyone,

I just got an Interact Series 1 Mk2. In truth I've had it since August, but I was just able to get the power connected yesterday. I had to have it inspected because it didn't have CSA approval (In Canada that's important apparently). The gentleman who came to inspect was very knowledgeable, though at $153/hr, I'd expect that... but I digress.

I have seen several interacts and the axis drives looks as in the picture I have attached. Three (Bosch I think) servo drives and a large transformer for them in the bottom left.

My machine has 4 servo drivers, and an additional transformer in the middle of the bottom of the electrical box beside the big one. On the back of this box on my machine are 3 connectors. The first is quite large with 15 or so pins, and two smaller connectors with less pins, 3 or so. I can't be more exact as I'm not at the shop right now and won't be back there until Tuesday as I'm finishing exams and should be studying, though this is infinitely more interesting

The Heidenhain 155 I have will control a 4th axis. So now for the question.
    Does anyone have any idea what the pinout for those plugs would be? The schematics I have for the machine don't show this 4th drive. I have several spare servo's as spare parts and would love to build a 4th axis. Usually I beleive the rotaional encoders for the 4th axis have 8000 steps /rev (from the heidenhain controller manual).

So to reiterate the question because I tend to ramble.... Has anyone seen a 4th axis on an interact Series 1 Mk 2? Does anyone know the pinouts at the back of the machine for the 4th axis?

My plan of attack should no one have the pinout is going to be check the back of teh TNC itself, trace those connection to the plugs, cross reference with the TNC schematics and try and work it out, but of course if it's available without having to do that, all the better.

Thanks for reading. I'll post pics of my board on Thursday or so when I get back to the shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails interact_009.jpg  

wow that is rare to have a fouth axis on that machine. I know it was an option but not many people bought it.

I would say your best bet is to trace the power wiring and encoder wiring and figure the pinout for the connectors. Just be very careful because the heidenhain controller and drives are very expensive to fix. If something ever happens to that control and you are looking at over 2K to fix it i would recommend a ajax/centroid. I have done three retrofits on my machines and i love them.

To bad you didnt get a series 2 interact 4 instead. a night and day difference from a series one. alot more rigid.

MY interact 1 Mk 2 notes also do not show the 4th axis. It is not until I get to the TNC2400 that it is shown.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I've got the 155B controller and it's documention mentions what is needed for a 4th axis and about parameters, but nothing in the interact documentation.

I will try and trace the circuits. I'm guessing all that's needed is a servo and an encoder. Different encoders have to be used with different (insert appropriate part name here). I remember seeing something about that in the controller documentation. The roational encoders for 4th axis usually have 8000 steps / rev unlike the one for linear axes. When I say usually, I mean the ones specified made by heidenhain in the TNC 155B manual. I am not trying to generalize about 4th axis designs

I hope to do some poking around over christmas. I'll try and update the thread if I learn anything useful. Thanks for the info.

Just to address an earlier comment about the repairs being expensive... I figured that and bought spare everything when I found them. I have 3 spare servo drive and servo's spare spindle driver, spare TNC... well that's it. No spare transformers.... I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't need the spares....
    I would like to update the machine to EMC2, but if it ain't broke I'm not messing with it Until I can't fix it, it's going to remain TNC155.

I haven't even turned it on yet. The electrician finished the wiring at the shop yesterday and I'm in exams until Tuesday. I've been waiting 5 months to get it connected. A few more days I get to see if it even works :P

Brian

the encoder will be a standard heidenhain connector like the others. Look up the tech manual for the 155 on the heid website

I dunno but you may have to do some figuring if the 155 was not setup.

Is the machine not wired to the control for the 4th?

Yeah the machine is wired for a fourth axis, but I don't have a fourth axis and I want to make one. Also the TNC option for 4th axis is disabled, but changing the parameter is easy enough. In the TNC 155 manual 4th axis has several possible configurations. Some encoders require an EXE 801 conditioner??? and some don't as it's part of the encoder. I have extra servo's from linear axes, and they include some type of rotational encoder. I'll have to look at the wiring in the cabinet to see if an EXE is used or not for the fourth axis, then I'll know if my current encoder will work or if I have to track down another...

Thanks for the help.

hello all monede someone help me to find the parameters of the machine A CORREA-10 HEIDENHAIN TNC 155 WITH SERIAL NO 9560509 Please