586,108 active members*
3,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

OgreOwner's JGRO Router Build

I recently had a lot of time on my hands (unemployment) and decided to keep busy. After building a new carriage for my band saw, I decided that a CNC router would make me happy. I had downloaded the JGRO plans a few years ago and wanted to charge full speed.

I laid out all the parts and got it all onto two sheets of MDF - one for 3/4 and one for 1/2

Went to Home Depot and had them make 4 cuts so that it would fit into my car with the ends sticking out the end with a red flag on the way home.

Once home, I began a cutting orgy after squaring up the blade, fence and miter guage on my table saw.

My shop is so crowded that first order of buisness was making a cover for the Table Saw that doubles as an assembly table once everything is cut. I used a piece of 3/4 plywood as the underlayment to a piece of 3/16 hardboard and boy is it heavy. It may get remade with thinner plywood after a while...

I opted to make the torsion boxes out of full length pieces, so I had to make lots of half through the board slots. Got to play around with my dado stack from Harbor Freight to get the width of cut "just right." Came up with a force fit and a sliding fit configuration. Both torsion boxes came together nicely.

Now I am building a table with fence to sit on my drill press. It is a big metalworking drill press that I cobbled together from two that I got from a pawn shop cheaply. One had a dead motor and the other had no table. The support columns were different diameters so I had to switch out the motors. Lots of fun in that project.

More as I progress.

Karl

No proof, without pictures!

OgreOwner,

I have to say, "You must be ALL talk", cuz I don't see no stinkin pictures.:stickpoke
    Seriously though, glad to see you have kept yourself busy and not gone insane (or have you, I here this CNC thing can do that to people), during your "Semi-retirement". Hope there is good news on the job front???

Some actual CNC questions:
    What size machine?
    What are you going to drive your axis' with? Acme, Ball nut, etc.?
    Have you chosen motors & electronics yet?
    If yes, what did you choose?
    Any mods we should know about?
    You get the idea.

Good luck with your build. And please remember...
    A picture is worth a 1000 words and video speaks volumes!

Randy,
    I may not be good....
    But I am S L O W!!