586,103 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Tool orientation in carousel.

Tool orientation in carousel.

I was told that the tool holders had to be put in the carousel with the round spot drill or small pocket on the tool holder facing the carousel. Is this the correct way? Or does it matter? Thanks for any help. I have been loading the tools as such but could not remember if this was the right orientation.

Holder orientation

I always place mine with the drill mark or pocket facing out. On the dual arm machines the same way also. It does not matter on the cat40 Fadals but is a good habit to use is you have boring heads or undercut tools that you need to orientate.

Thanks for the info, I was not sure of the orientation, I bought the machine several months ago, the individual that I bought it off of told me that I had to orient the tool a certain way and I forgot which way he said. I am glad it does not matter but also glad to know which way it needs to be for certain tools. Thanks again.

In the early days the short pocket and long pocket caused an orientation issue. No longer. I recommend the the set screw on the end mill holders face the spindle when in the turret because if the set screww protrudes above the face of the holder it can hit on the tab in the pocket.

Neal

Glad to hear, I was confused. Thanks Neal

This question just popped up in our shop recently. Glad to know that there really was a difference. I didn't care which way we loaded them, I just wanted them to be the same.