586,416 active members*
3,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > learning solidwork fast
Page 1 of 2 12

learning solidwork fast

can some tell me what is the easiest and fastest way to learn solidworks

There is no easy fast way to learn such a complex software. The only way to learn it is to use it as much as possible and get used to the way the software wants to see things.

BTW: It takes months and years depending on your previous CAD and Solid Modeling Experience.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Treat it like its a video game, play around with random features to learn as much as possible. Don't immediately start trying to design a part if you don't know a lot of the tools. Its best if you take the time to fiddle around and learn what different tools do, it will make the designing you do later much quicker and pain free. I am also a big fan of hot keys, you can customize to make things easier on you. Also depending on the edition you have try the tutorial if its available. If your on the trial software and just messing around, look into other software packages. solidworks is great but its also an industrial product (meaning $$$). I'm a fan of alibre, plain and simple. also theres cam bam and many others that help you do cad before cam.

--just my thoughts

Try Solidprofessor

Alibre is pretty close to SW and Cheaper, you may want to try it.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Solidworks is the most intuitive program out there for the basics, the more complex stuff takes more time. Try the tutorials that come with it. I'm still getting used to some of the new functions that you can do with the mouse in the 2010 version, old habits die hard.
    Greg Nuspel

There is a big difference to learning how to use Solidworks vs how to create parts. Learning solidworks is the easy part. Learning how to create useful models is another thing... and that requires experience. If you "rush" into learning how to use it, you'll probably loose interest due to being too frustrated.

Quick learn method

Try searching Youtube.com for short videos.

if you know someone that is good at it ask him or her to give you a crash course on it.
    then make sure you practice with training book on hand.
    the best way to learn is by doing so ask lots of questions and have them tell you how they go about solving issues, but make sure you are doing the handling of the PC.
    good luck
    and tell us how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    There is a big difference to learning how to use Solidworks vs how to create parts. Learning solidworks is the easy part. Learning how to create useful models is another thing... and that requires experience. If you "rush" into learning how to use it, you'll probably loose interest due to being too frustrated.
    For me it's the opposite. I can create parts, but don't know where all the features are, or even what features are available??

The way I learn, is start with the tutorials. Then, start modeling stuff. When you get stuck, use the help file and Google. Learn as you go, learning new features when you need them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

What I do with my people regarding Solidworks

SolidWorks 2009 Tutorial with MultiMedia CD (Perfect Paperback)
    ~ David C. Planchard (Author), Marie P. Planchard (Author)

Amazon.com for $59. work all the examples and problems and you will become fairly good at it. It takes a long time to get really good with this software. I and my group have been using it for several years and we are always learning new things. Check and see if you any of your local collages teach it and see if there is a local user group if you live a large enough city. Better yet try and start a user group. My best guy can teach someone with no experience at all with 1 hour and have them up and doing simple parts, drawings and assemblies.

Basic stuff but it is a start. I have used the above book for people to use on there own and if you do all all the examples and exercises in the book you will become pretty good. It is not hard it just takes time. The book is geared for someone who know nothing about Solidworks.

Talking

Solidworks for Dummies

I got mine.

I have used that to but I find a book that give you step by step excersize's to be better. The knowledge from dummies is great don't get me wrong. Another good book is Learning and Appying Solidworkworks 2009-2010 Step-by-Step by L.Scott Hanson, Ph.D.
    Again can be had at Amazon for $38.65

I was just looking at the books you mentioned, along with another 50 or so available.
    Definitely worth checking into!
    Thx

Use the program, plain and simple. It's like learning a new subject in school, you can read about it all you want, but until you use it and have to solve problems using it, you won't be proficient. SolidWorks is a great program and with enough practice you can pretty much model anything that can be manufactured and some things that cant.

From an old SoildWorks User

I have been using SolidWorks since 2000. I have taken many SolidWorks classes. There is no easy way to learn SolidWorks. Classes are the best way, but the tutorials are very good. The VAR you purchased it from should offer basic classes. Remember, SW is feature based and EVERYTHING relies on sketches. You almost always have to start with a sketch to do anything. Fully define your sketches as you go to prevent unintended changes later. Build one feature at a time. One thing I see all the time with newbies to SW, is they try to put everything in one or two sketches to define their part. Start with 2-D sketches on a plane. Stay away from 3-D sketches unless you have a solid background in 3-D graphics. Make lots of features if needed - they can be edited easily and you can roll back the feature tree to add or change something. Learn the basic stuff first, extrude feature, cut feature, revolve, etc. SW is very powerful and I design entire machines in it. By the way, I am a machine designer, not a machinist, but I have to support our CNC tools in the shop so I know both sides of the business.

Quote Originally Posted by gtdinc View Post
    I have been using SolidWorks since 2000. I have taken many SolidWorks classes. There is no easy way to learn SolidWorks. Classes are the best way, but the tutorials are very good. The VAR you purchased it from should offer basic classes. Remember, SW is feature based and EVERYTHING relies on sketches. You almost always have to start with a sketch to do anything. Fully define your sketches as you go to prevent unintended changes later. Build one feature at a time. One thing I see all the time with newbies to SW, is they try to put everything in one or two sketches to define their part. Start with 2-D sketches on a plane. Stay away from 3-D sketches unless you have a solid background in 3-D graphics. Make lots of features if needed - they can be edited easily and you can roll back the feature tree to add or change something. Learn the basic stuff first, extrude feature, cut feature, revolve, etc. SW is very powerful and I design entire machines in it. By the way, I am a machine designer, not a machinist, but I have to support our CNC tools in the shop so I know both sides of the business.
    I agree with all the above. The one item left out is to learn how to create new planes, and USE THEM! I struggled making "complex" geometry because I didn't understand how to use new sketch planes. Once a co-worker showed me how those work, the detail of my models, and the ease of their creation, became MUCH better. Planes are your Friend! Set them in odd angles, use them to base another plane rotation off of them, etc.

Good day, gtdinc

Greetings, I have been looking over this site for a few months first time poster....has some very practical information.

About Solidworks, a structured class is well worth the effort and cost, one thing I have noticed is if the class has very quick pace and very well structured you get more out of it. Its helpful if you have a good basic understanding of it, prior, (sounds like you do).

Or if you learn on your own, you need it to be structured and goal orientated. Stumbling around in it can be a waste of time with little results. You need goals, this is what I am currently doing. Along with training videos from Solidworks

And Solidworks have a very good package called "Stimulus Package" to keep designer/engineers skills hone if they are laid-off. Its basically I believe a 3 months trial of solidworks.

This should help, here is the link

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/esp/eng...s_package.html

p911

The site listed below has a series of very good video tutorials.
    Just click on the lessons on the left of the screen.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/en...ntresource/cae

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    For me it's the opposite. I can create parts, but don't know where all the features are, or even what features are available??

The way I learn, is start with the tutorials. Then, start modeling stuff. When you get stuck, use the help file and Google. Learn as you go, learning new features when you need them.
    LOL, thanks for completing my post Gerry.

Looks like everyone agrees to start out simple and learn as you go. We all start someplace:rainfro:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 1 of 2 12