586,119 active members*
3,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for a machinist in Las Vegas

I am looking for someone in Las Vegas who can make some small parts for a printing press. I have a Chandler & Price printing press that I need two parts made. The press is about 87 years old and they are no longer manufactured. The parts are called roller saddles and there are 2 each of 2 types of them on the press. I have 1 original of each one that can be used for measurements to duplicate. I appreciate any assistance anyone can give.

Thanks, Robert

It would probably be best to to list the approximate dimensions of the parts that you need. I am sure some printing press parts are huge, and not everyone will have the machinery to make them. I am in Riverside, that's 250 miles away, and one day shipping, if you can't find anyone closer.

Las Vegas Machinist

I have attached a couple of photos of the parts. They are actually not that large. The overall length of the shaft in the photo is about 17". The shafts are in good shape and can be re-used it is only the section on the end that needs to be replaced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CP_Saddles_1.jpg   CP_Saddles_2.jpg   CP_Saddles_3.jpg   CP_Saddles_4.jpg  

Are the ends welded or pressed on?

Form the best I can tell it looks like the single saddle hook was originally cast or forged since it appears to be one solid piece. I do think the hook could be cut or ground off and a new hook welded on. The double saddle is attached to the shaft by a pin that it pivots on. It look like the pin was pressed on through the shaft and the end was peened over to retain the saddle but still allow it to rotate about the pin. I think the pin could be removed and just the saddle remade since the shaft on this part is also in good shape. I was thinking another possibility might be to attach it with some type of bolt or similar connection that would allow it to be replaced in the future. The saddle needs to rotate about the pin but should not have any movement in other directions.

On the single saddle I think the piece was either cast or forged but it could be welded if a new one was made. On the double saddle the section on top pivots on a pin that looks to be pressed in and then the end peened over to retain the saddle.