586,069 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Build Inexpensive CNC with decent tolerances-Share your input
Page 2 of 2 12
    heh heh heh heh. Dude, been there, done that, argued with the old hats it could be done cheaply, then I tried to do it cheaply. Soldered up some linisteppers and ran some 80inoz steppers. Found they were weak. Tried to gear down and found a ton of lash. Tried to do pipe and skate bearings and it worked, but the pipes wobbled in the breeze. Tried to machine aluminum and CHATTER was everywhere. Finally realized the old salts knew what they were saying. Of course you might be the Messiah. I doubt it though as you've touched nothing new yet.

thanks Mr Wild for the info on the 80 oz and chatter and pipe and watch out for lash! Someone can use that info.
    The problem can be solved however, I am trying to get old dogs to think about new tricks..

If you are reading this post any have any ideas on what is cheap and what is the critcal point where you need a specific spec part please post..or any other ideas..its all about "how and what is cheap and works "

Well Andy, best way to prove something is to build something and show it to the world including the "old dogs."

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Andy990 View Post
    thanks Mr Wild for the info on the 80 oz and chatter and pipe and watch out for lash! Someone can use that info.
    The problem can be solved however, I am trying to get old dogs to think about new tricks..

If you are reading this post any have any ideas on what is cheap and what is the critcal point where you need a specific spec part please post..or any other ideas..its all about "how and what is cheap and works "
    Andy thanks for the pm, though that does bring me to this point. Have you built a machine? In your pm you questioned my post about not being helpful. Ok, let me be helpful. If you really want to build a cnc, go find some larger commercial printers that have been retired, strip them and have fun. Good size steppers in them, some even have servos. You said in your pm and in one of your earlier posts about "buying" your way out or around a problem. I am living proof that most times, buying is cheaper than doing. Now if you are only interested in learning, then by all means have as much fun as you can, but please don't tell others how to have their fun.

Fun to me is having a spindle running around 20K singing in wood while it is cutting at around 100 ipm (wish for 1000ipm) and that cut is smooth as silk.

I heard a quote from an old drag racer that someone had ask how much it cost to drag race. "well....it all depends on to things. How fast do you want to go......and how deep are your pockets"!

I apologize to you if I came off a rude as that was not my intent. I did however very much intend to call you out in the street and make you draw your cnc of choice....that you built!

Now, please answer the question.

Mike

ps as I said in my pm reply to you.....if you will sit and read, and learn, you will find this a really friendly and helpful place. We really are nice!(group)
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Page 2 of 2 12