586,296 active members*
4,201 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > I think I broke a bunch of MAXOn servos

I think I broke a bunch of MAXOn servos

FIRST THINGS FIRST: lOOKS LIKE img LINKS FROM PHOTOBUCKET DONT DISPLAY ON HERE.

Well, I got half a dozen maxon gearhead motors with HEDS encoders on the back of them. I decided to see if the disks were in good shape and destroyed every one of them.

Firstly, I couldnt get the body of the encoder lined up with with the hole illustrated here:

I managed to get a hole in the side and turned it to where I could see the set screw. Found the smallest allen wrench I could buy and gave a go at unscrewing the grub. It was inside the assembly so I couldnt tell if I was sucessful or not. I wasnt. After prying the snaps up to remove the cover, the read-disk folded since it was still partially in the reader.

I tried again extra carefully and no luck. I just destroyed them all. Where can I find an allen wrench small enough? I think that may have been the issue.

Also, are these disks replaceable? I'd hate to think I should just chuck these parts into the trash. I really cant afford losses like that.....Some pics of this disaster:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02525.jpg   HEDS-5605#A06.JPG   DSC02530.jpg   DSC02529.jpg  

DSC02527.jpg   DSC02526.jpg  

HEDM-55xx/560x & HEDS-55xx/56xx

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    FIRST THINGS FIRST: lOOKS LIKE img LINKS FROM PHOTOBUCKET DONT DISPLAY ON HERE.

Well, I got half a dozen maxon gearhead motors with HEDS encoders on the back of them. I decided to see if the disks were in good shape and destroyed every one of them.

Firstly, I couldnt get the body of the encoder lined up with with the hole illustrated here:

I managed to get a hole in the side and turned it to where I could see the set screw. Found the smallest allen wrench I could buy and gave a go at unscrewing the grub. It was inside the assembly so I couldnt tell if I was sucessful or not. I wasnt. After prying the snaps up to remove the cover, the read-disk folded since it was still partially in the reader.

I tried again extra carefully and no luck. I just destroyed them all. Where can I find an allen wrench small enough? I think that may have been the issue.

Also, are these disks replaceable? I'd hate to think I should just chuck these parts into the trash. I really cant afford losses like that.....Some pics of this disaster:

See page 2, 0.035 hex wrench. Data Sheet - HEDM-550x/HEDM-560x, Quick Assembly Two and Three Channel Optical Encoders (304 KB)

Hope this helps,

Iron-Man