586,108 active members*
3,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Missouri

Page 1 of 6 123

St. Louis, Missouri Area

I am looking for others in the St. Louis area that are either currently running or building a CNC machine. I consider myself only an apprentice with lots to learn from an experienced mentor (Professional or hobbyist). I am also willing to help anyone in anyway I can...I own a 9X20 Enco lathe, a Grizzly 3617 mill, a table saw, a radial arm saw, a bandsaw and a mig welder. I also have a CNC router in aluminum that is under construction.

jdebuck,
    I'm in St. Peters. There is another user here also in St. Peters, motomitch. I also have a friend in St. Charles that has built a cnc router, he's the one that got me interested.

Phil
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

jdebuck, I think I'm one town north of you, Arnold. Still amassing parts for the router and getting closer every week.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Thanks for the replies...

It sounds like we are all relatively close to each other...If anybody needs any help or just wants to share ideas let me know. Just send me an email with a way to get a hold of you and l like I said in my post...I do have some specialty tools that may be of help with your project too if you dont have access to any or own them yourselves and you have the need to use them. I hope that there are many others local too...it might be kinda cool to start a St. Louis CNC Club of sorts, to have meetings, help each other w/projects or machines, BBQ's, etc. if enough people were interested in doing something like that. I will look forward to hearing from you guys and again, thanks for the replies...

I do hope that this new forum takes off and does just what I had hoped for it to do...
    :cheers:

Jeff

Are any of you guys going to or thinking about going to the CNC WORKSHOP in IL this year?

what cnc workshop?

Phil

First Annual CNC-Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo
    what cnc workshop?

Phil
    Check it out here...

http://www.cnc-workshop.com/index.html

Sounds like there will be lots to see and do there...Mapquest shows it to be 250 miles from Imperial, 3 1/2 hour or so drive away.

Still amassing parts...

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchstuff
    jdebuck, I think I'm one town north of you, Arnold. Still amassing parts for the router and getting closer every week.
    2muchstuff,

What are you still trying to get? Someone here local may have some extra pieces or possibly know of a good (read reasonable) place to help you aquire them.

Jeff

jdebuck,

The major mechanical stuff that I still need are as follows:

2- 56" THK type linear rails w/bearings (y axis)
    2- THK type linear rails w/bearings (z axis)
    assorted MXL or XL timing belts and pulleys
    16 diametral pitch rack and pinions
    3- drivers
    and possibly a stepper motor for the z-axis

The motor I have and may use for the z-axis is a:

Japan Servo Co.
    type:KP8BM3-001
    3 volt
    2.5 degree

srofzam has one identical to it in the classifieds here. I have e-mailed the co. for torque specs, but have yet to hear back from them. Other wise I may be able to trade a piece of equipment that I have for a SLO-SYN with a 350 oz. rating, don't know yet.

Do to the size of this contraption, I have decieded to go with stepper motors, belted down to drive a rack and pinion.

Well if you guys are close 2gether you should all arrange to meet.
    I have had two BBQs now where we all met together.
    It is a great time to swap ideas, show each other what you are doing, etc.

Our last BBQ we had 8 zone members arrive. It makes a good local network.

Hey guys, just found this on the IKO site. IKO will be at an Automation and Assembly Summit, April 19'th and 20'th 2005 at the Sheraton Westport, booth #27. I have no clue what it is all about, but if there are booths, it must be some kind of convention thing. If anything it is central to the three of us.

Summit Registration Deadline April 8th (Extended)

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchstuff
    Hey guys, just found this on the IKO site. IKO will be at an Automation and Assembly Summit, April 19'th and 20'th 2005 at the Sheraton Westport, booth #27. I have no clue what it is all about, but if there are booths, it must be some kind of convention thing. If anything it is central to the three of us.
    2muchstuff,

I did a search and came up with this pdf entry form. It looks like there is a charge for everything except the exhibits. Being that is on a Tues & Wed during regular business hours I would imagine...are you able to go during the day? I am fortunate enough to work from home, so I may be able to attend. Let me know if you plan on going...

Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files

jdebuck,

I work just down the street from there. I may be able to come up with a break in between service calls to head over there or I might be at the shop, I don't know as of yet. The schedule could change at a moments notice if an emergency came up. Besides all I would probably have time for would be the exhibits.

Certainly there must be more than the three of us so far here in the St. Louis area reading these forums...I'm surprised there hasn't been more replies.

Did anybody make it to the summit at Westport this week.

Not exactly in Missouri, but I am on the Illinois side in Columbia. I have a Taig CNC mill on order and am just waiting for it to get in.

Hi all, Since warped bumped the thread & I saw it, I thought i'd chime in. I'm new to machining, but understand tight tolerances from building several motors. Main hobby is old VW's which is what got me interested in CNC. I want to make custom parts nobody else has

Anyway, I am a linux/computer expert type guy, but very new to machining. Maybe if somebody near stl is an experienced machinist but new to electronics/computers we could help each other?

I bought a secondhand smithy I am planning to convert to CNC.

take care,

Jester

EDIT: I live 1 mile outside the stl. city limits.

warpedmephisto and jester69,
    Welcome to the forum.

I am in Ste. Genevieve. I have a homebuilt 2' x 2' router, and tomorrow will have a Bridgeport Series I CNC Mill.

i run and program 2 cnc lasers,2 amadas turret presses, 1 northwood router,1 biesse point to point, and 1 schelling saw. I am located in Fenton,mo

Hey we might be close to getting enough folks together for a meeting. We're from all over the metro STL area, St. Charles, Fenton, St. Genevive, City, County, Columbia IL. Finding a central meeting spot migh be a tuffie.

Phil

Page 1 of 6 123