586,113 active members*
3,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stupid Software making me feel STUPID!

I feel SO stupid.

I don't know what to do with the brand new software that I purchased awhile back.
    Like for example...
    Which one goes in first?
    Is it the the one called?..."EZ TRACK 6.00_5.78 install disk w/MS DOS".
    Or is it?
    "DOS 6.22 BOOT DISK with utilities".
    Do I even want to load these in?
    Did I spend a bunch of money that I wish I had right now?
    Is it the 6.22 that has all the bugs?
    Is it an upgrade compared to what I have? (3.68 something or other.)

See what I mean..... Stupid feeling, feeling stupid, stupid!

Thanks in advance
    Tony

Did you receive any directions with these disks?
    Are these from EMI?
    Bridgeport used DOS 6.20.
    EMI uses DOS 6.22.
    DOS 6.20 full version is 3 floppys. The EZTARK used only a few necessary DOS files.
    A dos utility disk may have FDISK and FORMAT to prepare a mass storage device for DOS and software. Do a DIR of that disk to see what is on it. It has to be bootable to be useful. Cannot advise you further without knowing what you have.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

They did come from EMI with the instructions. The instructions are very well misplaced.
    "EZ TRACK 6.00_5.78 install disk w/MS DOS" is on two of them and "DOS 6.22 BOOT DISK with utilities" is on the other two.

I purchased them thinking that I was going to need them.
    I am not the best at the programming thing. I have been turning handles for decades. I am learning a bit now.

This is actually all about a XMAS present that i am in the middle of. It would sure be nice if I could do some engraving, and that is why I am, just now, thinking about using this software.

So should I use it? And how do i get it into the thing?

Thanks
    Tony

Thanks btw with the help you gave me in the past. Never did get a chance to thank you then.

I understand a bit better. You want to engrave and your prior software will not support it.
    And you have a EZTRAK-DX. I am not familiar with these disks. I would suggest EMI email or fax you a set of directions.
    Maybe the DOS utilities disk has a install.bat file and a autoexec file. Then you could boot from the DOS floppy and follow those instructions, followed by the machine software disk. If they do not have autoexec.bat files, you may need a full size keyboard and may have to type in INSTALL. You need to back up the SYS.BEZ file as this has your machine specific parameters, such as backlash and pitch error comp. A book like DOS FOR DUMMIES is a big help. It was to me.
    Maybe someone else on this forum has a set of instructions that can be scanned and attached here.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cool

Maybe someone else on this forum has a set of instructions that can be scanned and attached here.
    How do i go about asking "someone"?
    Should I start a new thread?

This is tearing me up inside because its crunch time! I need to figure out or decide what to do because....
    Well like i mentioned its for a xmas gift and (lol) the part is due at the customers receiving department (under the xmas tree) tonight.

thanks again!

Tony is you still need help send me a pm with your phone number and I will give you a call...

So now I guess that I have a problem with the 3.5" floppy. Problem is that it does not see it. I keep getting an error that says that there is no floppy drive installed.

I found a working floppy drive in my son's computer. I swapped the one that was in the cabinet and checked the power going in to it and still nothing.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to, like enable it in the bios or something?

OH and BTW happy new year!!!

New years resolution..... Sell this darn thing. or not.

In CMOS the a drive should be a 3.5 inch 1.44MB.
    Next: are you getting voltage to it?
    Is it turning ON for a few seconds during boot up?
    If it is LIT up on a constant basis the data cable may need to be reversed.
    Is the data cable correctly inserted into IO board or mother board?

George

Not sure about the cmos.. Leaving that to the geek friend.

Voltage. yes 12v and 5v

Light on during boot up... No

Cables are in (clocked) correctly. btw that is a strange looking adapter thing between the ribbon cable and the drive. I thought about replacing the ribbon cable, but damm that's the longest one I have ever seen.

Thought about doing the "Auto detect thing" in the bios screen but... cant get myself to do it. leaving it up to the geek.

When it boots I can see that it where says that there is not a drive detected.
    If I had another floppy drive laying around I would try it but I only had the one extra. The drive worked when I took it from my boys computer.

Thanks

geek friend says I am stupid!

Floppy works now.
    :cheers:

My friend came over, (about a 15 mile drive) after I woke him up from a nap.
    He hit ctrl,alt,del.
    Then he hit a key a few times (tap tap tap).
    Hit the "y" key......
    Then he hit me!
    (chair)

He also said that if it was him....
    He would not change the software until the original was copied, that is running the machine now.

Is that possible? Don't i need the original floppy that came with the machine, to do this.