586,096 active members*
3,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Corrosion Preventive treatment

I have used a product in the past to effectively stop corrosion on all types of iron/steel, it's active ingredient is phosphoric acid and it creats a hard black coating of iron phosphate on the surface of the metal.

Is there any reason that I cannot use this product on my new Tormach's exposed surfaces? (Table top, handles, hold down nuts and bolts, spindle adapters, chucks, etc...)

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog66 View Post
    I have used a product in the past to effectively stop corrosion on all types of iron/steel
    If you're talking about something like POR, BigDog66, I personally wouldn't use it. Anything that builds a permanent coating onto the surface would be bad where precision fits (tooling onto the table, especially tooling into the spindle) were concerned. I spray down exposed surfaces with Boeshield T-9 which, after the carrier evaporates, leaves behind a waxy coating that I can wipe off when I'm going to clamp something on the surface. But I'm in the benign reasonable-humidity enviornment of inland northern California, so people in less-friendly environments may have better suggestions.

Hold-down clamps etc, go wild on them. My clamp set is Teco, which already has a black oxide coating...

Randy

phosphoric acid and it creats a hard black coating of iron phosphate on the surface of the metal.
    there are a few products out there that use the phosphoric acid , rust mort is the one that i use . for it to work it needs rust
    a well oiled machine should be free of rust and if you get rust then there is a problem and deal with it then .
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Smile Atmospheric Conditions

I do live in a moist place, 30 miles west of Portland Oregon.

When I treat a piece of metal or tool I have too clean it to bare metal, when applied it turns the metal black but never will rust appear again for quite some time.

I understand that use on working surfaces would not be advised.

Thanks for the quick response.

BigDog66

All you have to do is use a refractometer to keep your coolant at the right number and it should not rust I have done this for years with no rust at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    All you have to do is use a refractometer to keep your coolant at the right number and it should not rust I have done this for years with no rust at all.
    Please tell me more about refractometry and how it is used in this application?

Please tell me more about refractometry and how it is used in this application?
    I use a refractometer to keep my flood coolant solution at 10% and have had no rust on my Tormach. see: http://www.zebraskimmers.com/oil_ski...ctometers.html
    http://www.zebraskimmers.com/oil_ski...rSelection.pdf

Here's a refractometer that is sold by Enco:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

which should give you an idea of what they look like. You lift a plastic window that covers a glass plate, place a drop of your coolant mix on the glass, close the plastic cover to force a thin film of coolant over the glass and look through the eyepiece. There's a scale visible through the eyepiece that indicates the percentage dilution of your coolant.

They are very simple to use and can usually be found for < $100.

Mike

Don is right 10 is good. And if kept up will fix your problem just dont forget!

I do live in a moist place, 30 miles west of Portland Oregon.
    BigDog66
    West of Portland, no kidding you need rust control, and moss control too, I was just up there this afternoon (Tillamook), I live in the Grants Pass area.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Bring your machine to northwest Florida. I don't care what you do, it *will* rust. I promise. If you don't use coolant for a few weeks, the condensation on the metal will eventually dilute the layer of protection enough to allow rust to form.

I have threatened to chemically blacken the table, vise, and spindle nose on my mill several times. I have not yet done it, but I think that I would have a lot fewer problems with rust if I did.

I once blackened my pocket knife blade by cutting into a Tung seed. It was an instant reaction, and so black that I decided to do all three blades. It has lasted for about 20 years (carried daily) so far. It's interesting what will work for blackening metal, but that one was a complete surprise to me.

Regards, and happy new year to all of you,

- Just Gary

Hi Folks

I have a similar problem here in England. I use a single wall garage as a workshop and had condensation rusting problems until I tried putting a dehumidifier under a heavy duty cotton machine cover which is draped over my machines. Until the weather turned cold the compressor type dehumidifier was keeping the RH down to 75&#37; or less (under the blanket) but now that the average temperature at mid day is very low and the humidity is rising to 90% or more. Hope the rust preventative oils work! I have just ordered a desicant type dehumidifier as these work down to a much lower temperature and under that machine blanket should make warm dry environment for machine and tool storage over the winter.

I believe that in the USA you have air-con units that also work as dehumidifiers. In the UK these are very expensive but have started to come down in price. I fancy one that would provide winter heat but need a loto win first!

Regards

Pat