586,106 active members*
3,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

adding 4th axis to an existing mill

We just purchased a Rong fu 31 mill which was converted to CNC. It has three axes right now, driven by DC servos.

We have two possibilities for cash crops on the mill. Both require a fourth axis.

The existing axes are using Gecko G320X drivers. The cabinet that holds the controllers has space for a fourth controller, and the cabinet has cutouts for Axis A. I can't tell what kind of break out board I have, though; there was no obvious brand or model silkscreened onto the parts I can see. There is a label JAMECO on one of the larger components. I'll upload the pictures when I get them off of my phone (quality will be iffy ).

My question: what does one need to add a fourth axis? I assume that I would need a rotary table (what size?), a servo (what strength?), another G320X, and the wiring to connect the servo to the 320X. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by BiggerHammer View Post
    We just purchased a Rong fu 31 mill which was converted to CNC. It has three axes right now, driven by DC servos.

We have two possibilities for cash crops on the mill. Both require a fourth axis.

The existing axes are using Gecko G320X drivers. The cabinet that holds the controllers has space for a fourth controller, and the cabinet has cutouts for Axis A. I can't tell what kind of break out board I have, though; there was no obvious brand or model silkscreened onto the parts I can see. There is a label JAMECO on one of the larger components. I'll upload the pictures when I get them off of my phone (quality will be iffy ).

My question: what does one need to add a fourth axis? I assume that I would need a rotary table (what size?), a servo (what strength?), another G320X, and the wiring to connect the servo to the 320X. What am I missing?
    Looks like you have it all covered.
    Other than setting up the ports and pins for the 4th axis you should be OK.
    If you are short on pins then you may need a second pport.

You will need a step, direction, and possibly a home pin. Looks like 3 pins to me.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Thank you.