586,196 active members*
4,145 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: HeeksCad/Cnc

Page 2 of 2 12
    Hey Dan whats the best way to round the edges on that? Ive extruded it to a solid but then I come into issues trying to work with the edges. Ive tried it with both Heeks and Salome. Im just not that good at CAD yet. Thanks for the input.

It depends on what tool you want to use to route the roundover. If you're using an actual roundover bit, you could just calculate the stepover that you need and pull away from the profile when you get near the neck joint. If you want to use surfacing with a ball end mill, you might construct a negative of the body and fillet the corners, then subtract out the neck joint area. After that, subtract the negative solid from the original body to leave the body + radius'.
    I haven't attempted anything like this in HeeksCAD, but have in other commercial applications.
    There's probably an easier way to do it in HeeksCAD. Maybe ask on the mailing list.
    Dan

create a milling file for violin

Hi experts,

Beginner question: How can I with this dxf file to create a milling file (g-code)?
    Greetings
    Heinz G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guar1.gif  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Violtn gcode with Heekscnc

Hi experts,

Beginner needs help.
    Make with Heekscnc DXF file is a milling file (g-code)?
    DXF -> 3D object -> Gcode

Greetings
    Heinz G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guar1.gif  

Hi,

I'll have a look at it tomorrow. I need to do some carpentry today.
    If you could make each level a separate sketch then you might be able to do a 'loft' to create a solid. Then you could use the zigzag machining operation on it.

Dan

ok, I looked at it and found out that my computer isn't powerful enough to do what I want to with it:
    1. import the dxf file
    2. 'split sketch' to separate the different Z level contours
    3. select 2 or more of the levels or sketchs
    4. try to 'loft 2 sketches' ( I have found that you can loft more than 2 sketches)

It should create a solid out of it that you could machine with the zigzag operation- if your computer can handle it. There must be a defect in memory management of solids in the program right now.

My computer couldn't handle lofting more than 3 of the levels at a time, so I can't create a solid from the whole thing. Sorry.

Dan Falck,

What CPU, memory, OS, etc. would a computer need to do this?

Thanks.

I've heard Dan Heeks comment that he is having problems with complex solids and the code.
    I'm running a dual pentium 3 ghz with 4 gig ram and it segfaulted on me.
    I might do better by playing with the 'undo/redo' settings. It seems that having 'undo' set to work is using lots of memory.

Violin gcode with Heekscnc

Hi,
    thanks for the help.
    I could create these files. G-code I have not done.

Heinz G.

Hi,
    thanks for the help.

Heinz G.

Hi,
    thanks for the help.

Heinz G.

I did not wait until the files were loaded.

Great program. I only just downloaded and installed it today. So far, it appears to be very functional, intuitive and even kinda pretty. I realize it is a work in progress, but I like what I see so far. I've used AutoCAD at work for years, and wish Autodesk would incorporate some of the common-sense features I've discovered in HeeksCAD after playing with it for only a few minutes. I'd recommend taking a look.

I would like to learn Heekscad. I am new to cad. Can run autocad somewhat. Have made a few parts that have machined out fine on a homemade cnc router running EMC2.
    But in Heekscad I can not find the "GO" icon.
    Are there addons you must install in order to make it have these options for running g-code?
    Ive watched the you tube clips on it.
    I sure would like to find a book on running it.
    Any help or advise on the "GO" feature would be appreciated.
    I was able to load a popular logo JPG image into heaks cad and I would like to edit and run the g-code
    Will it take a JPG and make g-code from it ?
    thanks

If you install the HeeksCNC plugin for HeeksCAD,you can create G-code.

thank you

Found it and are trying to run it now. It even opened up the JPG logo a friend would like me to cut out for him.
    thanks so much

Were you able to do anything with the jpeg in HeeksCAD? I usually have to use Inkscape to convert images to vector files, but I don't deal with images often.

yes and no. I had my brother down and he is more savy with all of this. We talked about making it a vector for heekscnc and opened it up with a ac program and he was working on it maybe more today.
    I was able to just open it with Heekscnc and Heekscad without any conversion, we did save it while in ac to a dxf and it opened that way also.
    We are both trying to learn Heeks. He told me that I should learn Heeks as I am fairly new to cad but he thinks in ac! hope I can do something with it in the future.
    I think what will have to be done will be to extrude it to a thickness in different areas so it can be milled with the router. We run Emc2 and I have tried the Jpg to emc2 conversion and not had much success with it. thanks for the view and question.

Page 2 of 2 12